astrabal service logo
view:
topics flat nest
Comments on news posted 2017-11-07 10:50:37: Japan's Softbank has boosted its investment stake in Sprint from 82% to 85% in the wake of the company's failed bid to acquire T-Mobile. ..

chase fraud telephone number where is at&t u verse availability map how to change transmission fluid ford ranger bash for loop syntax i flushed something down the toilet windows 7 ssd trim how to use sunpass windshield wax rain x drano max build up remover reviews which is thicker 10w30 or 5w30 dd wrt static ip does fibe tv use internet 10 mile wifi antenna speed test broadband ipad charter ref code s0200 convert mbit to mbyte uses of crt monitor att uverse voicemail access clearwire internet service plans 2003 corolla oil change best dns servers for comcast settlement for soft tissue injury polyethylene glycol vs propylene glycol using rubbing compound on headlights login att yahoo email cw network on uverse install vanity light without electrical box costco gas station payment chase atm check deposit availability at&t internet max speed

ctaranto
join:2011-12-14
MA

ctaranto

Big ego much?

Sprint has sunk from 3rd to 4th and is bleeding money. Losing control of the company? I think that's already happened, Son.

SuperSpy
join:2012-06-15
Coldwater, MI

SuperSpy

Re: Big ego much?

It's as if he can't see the writing on the wall. "We pulled out of the merger talks that would have removed our control from the company and our stock dropped sharply." MAYBE, JUST MAYBE that's an indication of the market's opinion of your management.

brentos
join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

brentos

Well I remember the news not too long ago that Son would let Legere have control, but maybe the stockholders didn't feel that way.
shanghaista
join:2014-08-03
Canton, MA

shanghaista

What stockholders? Are you referring to the Sprint stockholders that cumulatively hold less than 17% of Sprint?

Masa Son (Softbank) had 83% of shares in Sprint so what he says, goes.

Kind of like TMUS, yes it's publicly traded but DT owns over 60% so they don't need to have stockholders lined up and agreeing to their decision.
ocjosh
join:2013-03-19
Anaheim, CA
·Time Warner Cable
·T-Mobile

1 edit

ocjosh to ctaranto

to ctaranto
Not only that, they sold towers then rent them back; outsource engineer teams then hire them again; sold customer contracts then handling bills for new owner to get processing incomes, including phone leases; they sold spectrum then lease back for use.
Not sure was those actions improved or not, according to history news:
This company has limited assets left from those financial acts.

Anoncf8e3
@zscaler.com

Anoncf8e3

Anon

said by ocjosh:

Not only that, they sold towers then rent them back

FWIW All of the major carriers do this.
ocjosh
join:2013-03-19
Anaheim, CA

ocjosh

And Sprint didn't stop there. They have to do much more than that as I posted, even with airwave spectrum, employees and customer contracts and equipment leases. What's your point? Sprint is great under Softbank?
existenz
join:2014-02-12
·Google Fiber

existenz

TMO may soon start to target Sprint

If Sprint can survive limping along long term, it should benefit all consumers. But now that TMO is no longer in play, would expect TMO to start targeting Sprint users and that could put final nail in Sprint's coffin if they don't find another partner. TMO has held off with Sprint attacking ads during on/off negotiations and Sprint started to improve. That could soon go away.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes TMO to start a new ad campaign going after Sprint.
mroccella
join:2002-03-02
Lyndhurst, NJ
·ooma
·Cable - INTERLYN..

mroccella

Re: TMO may soon start to target Sprint

Sprint's network has gotten better in the NYC Metro area, the past few years. Plus, devices like the Airave 3 really do help with indoor reception issues.

The Airave 3 now has a built-in dual-band WiFi AC router. The router has enough functionality for most homes. So, you can use it to replace your existing router. The Airave 3 is automatically updated. Now, users won't have to worry about security vulnerabilities due to unpatched routers.

It would be nice to see an Airave and cable modem combined into one device that Altice can install into homes and businesses as a sort of internet gateway. That would quickly expand Sprint's reach.
kk888
join:2010-07-01

kk888

I got a free Virgin sim few months ago and from my experience in around Queens and Long Island,
Sprint's biggest problem is that B41's availability is very very limited.

When you have 90% of the subscriber on 5Mhz B25 LTE & 3/5Mhz B26 LTE 90% of the time, performance is going to suck.

They need to densify like T-Mobile. Also, they should partner up with Dish as well because Dish's AWS-3 and 600Mhz can help them a lot.
Tchaika
join:2017-03-20
New Orleans, LA
57.4 12.4

Tchaika to existenz

to existenz
said by existenz:

would expect TMO to start targeting Sprint users and that could put final nail in Sprint's coffin if they don't find another partner

If T-Mo wants to do that they're going to have to stop charging near-Verizon prices. I don't see that happening. Every move they've made since they retired Simple Choice has been all about increasing ARPU.

Sprint will secure the niche T-Mo used to have, as the value carrier, with the "good enough" network. They've also got a sizable MVNO business, bigger than the other three carriers if I'm not mistaken.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Near Verizon? We’re paying $140 for four unlimited lines.... Verizon equivalent is like 220 with tax.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·Localphone
·Callcentric
·T-Mobile
·Verizon Wireless
·callwithus
·AT&T U-Verse
·Google Voice

cb14 to Tchaika

to Tchaika
said by Tchaika:

Every move they've made since they retired Simple Choice has been all about increasing ARPU.

Every move? Is my One 55+ one of those moves? It's better than anything anyone offers.
Their multi line prices are competitive as well.
They have to do something for young single line users, that's where they suck, i give you that.

Anonc4deb
@2600:8800.x

Anonc4deb to existenz

Anon

to existenz
There goes the competition some were screaming about in other threads.
But if Sprint dies TMobile will lower their rates even more and become even more competitive.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to existenz

to existenz
There's no good reason for them to do that though. The pot of potential customers from AT&T and Verizon, who are paying more for their service, is much larger than the list of Sprint subs.

Sure, there's competition around the fringes, between MetroPCS and Boost, for example. But, generally speaking, Sprint customers aren't that attractive to poach in the first place.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to existenz

to existenz
said by existenz:

If Sprint can survive limping along long term, it should benefit all consumers. But now that TMO is no longer in play, would expect TMO to start targeting Sprint users and that could put final nail in Sprint's coffin if they don't find another partner. TMO has held off with Sprint attacking ads during on/off negotiations and Sprint started to improve. That could soon go away.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes TMO to start a new ad campaign going after Sprint.

I will probably be switching back to T-Mobile by the end of the week after leaving them in 2011 for Sprint (was with T-Mobile since 2005). The issue boils down to my firm having four lines with Sprint and it the grandfathered plan costing around $260/month. I am 55 and two of those lines can go to T-Mobile's 55+ plan for $60/month. The owner of the company turns 55 at the end of the year and the other two lines can then go to him. Plus I am paying Netflix $10.99/month and that will go away.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to existenz

to existenz
Sprint was an absentee at the 600 MHz auction. Masa has no intention of investing in the network. The company is doomed.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
·Optimum Online
·ooma

tmc8080 to existenz

to existenz
said by existenz:

Tmobile has their sights on Verizon and to a lesser extent, ATT.. but ATT already stemmed those losses with Tracfone and other dirt cheap MVNO's.. so it's all TVerizon. Unless Sprint finally gets some dirt cheap MVNO's, they are dead weight! Freedompop doesn't count as a viable option for many and the shutdown of RingPlus dumped customers back onto Tmobile or ATT mvnos. For the most part they didn't stay with Sprint affiliates.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

Right, good move there

So, I think T-Mobile One is a mess. Having a grandfathered simple choice plan it was just a price increase if we switched. All this Uncarrier nonsense has been either specifically targeted to new users or not worth the paper involved in the press release for a while. Somehow, T-Mobile continues to sell it, and grow.
Sprint, have not been enjoying a similar level of success. They are #4 and falling further and further behind. I looked at moving to them once (earlier this year) and it would have cost a considerable amount more than I pay now.
How is leaving the Sprint management in place a good idea? T-Mobile can sell overpriced and not exactly unlimited internet to people while spewing $2 off coupons on Tuesdays as if they had gold plating. If I was a stock holder, letting Softbank hang onto any seats in the executive wing would be a no go.

ctaranto
MA

ctaranto

Re: Right, good move there

said by xrobertcmx:

Having a grandfathered simple choice plan it was just a price increase if we switched.

Agreed. I have 5 lines, and switching to T-Mo One would increase my bill by about $10 (including the free Netflix and no taxes on T-Mo One).

The main thing holding me back is tethering. Simple Choice allows something like 7GB of 4g LTE tethering per line per month. T-Mo One throttles all tethering to "3g" (more like 2g) speeds, and would force me to upgrade each line that I wanted to have high speed tethering for $10/line.

Granted I don't use tethering that much, but when I do, I want it to work at LTE speeds.
mwebb1984
join:2003-10-20
San Antonio, TX

mwebb1984

Well they had free one plus for month(s). AFAIK You can still get one plus included if you set up a business account, but no Netflix and a few other tradeoffs.

ctaranto
MA

ctaranto

said by mwebb1984:

Well they had free one plus for month(s). AFAIK You can still get one plus included if you set up a business account, but no Netflix and a few other tradeoffs.

Yep, I missed that deal. Hopefully they bring in one more promotion to get me hooked.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx to ctaranto

Premium Member

to ctaranto
We looked, for our 5 it would have jumped from $135 to $180. We don't have streaming Netflix is a wash. It may be a bit cheaper now with no taxes. Looks to still be $180, hard to be certain with the 4 for $40. That puts 4 lines at $160, is the fifth line only $20 more?
mwebb1984
San Antonio, TX

mwebb1984

Well the hookup is not widely available now... That's 20%off everything. So that part was referring to something previously available, but not currently.

If your current plan only covers 2gb a line and some people always use less than 2g, each line under 2gb can get a $10 kickback credit. Correct, 5 is $180.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

That would bring it close. I would have to see the fine print. Two of my lines use a lot of music and video streaming. It is all covered under the free streaming. Outside of my line I doubt any use more than a few hundred meg not covered by one of the unlimited caveats.
mwebb1984
San Antonio, TX

mwebb1984

The One plan doesn't have any uncounted data. (Except possibly speed tests)

ctaranto
MA

ctaranto to xrobertcmx

to xrobertcmx
said by xrobertcmx:

We looked, for our 5 it would have jumped from $135 to $180.

Adding taxes/fees to the $135 will bring that close to $160. Adding in the $10 free Netflix (at least for me) brings me within $10.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

No, that is the total bill. Found it, have the text. $130.91

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to ctaranto

to ctaranto
Here,added taxes and junk fees increase the bill by about 25% so it really depends on location.
mwebb1984
San Antonio, TX

1 edit

mwebb1984 to xrobertcmx

to xrobertcmx
If you'd paid close enough attention and put a little effort in, there was opportunity to switch and be cheaper earlier this year.

Free One Plus ran for a long time. Hookup was initially widely available (hookup would have required effort of porting in one new number, real or manufactured, and setting up a new account for 20% off). Unless you only have 1 or 2 lines, it would have been cheaper to switch.

Promos always are about timing though, which is a challenge. When the Verizon unlimited* plans came out, I watched for a week or two for developments. And w switched the first morning that the hookup deal was available.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

I've kept an eye on it. At no point would moving to One have made sense from a cost perspective. I have 5 lines on Simple Choice, 1 of those is Unlimited. The other 4 have Data Stash, Binge On, Music Choice, etc... Effectively unlimited. Our bill is $134 or $136 a month. The closest I got to that was if I closed a line and added it back as a free line. Still was $160 a month.
mwebb1984
San Antonio, TX

2 edits

mwebb1984

Well at no point is not true, theoretically possible to beat that anyways... But it would have been really difficult and the free and half off lines were not predictable.
But you still have a great deal, I wouldn't have switched from your plan either. Feb w/hookup & plus promo was 5 for $180 - 20% = $144 with no other promo juggling required.

If you add in the free line and two 50 off lines it would have been cheaper, but again it would have been impossible to plan for them... We ended up with 3 "extra lines" and have only found a use for one of them. Hookup+ free line + 2 half off lines and no kickbacks would have been only $112 for 5 lines. (50+70 for first two lines. 3rd free. 4th and 5th half off =20. $140*0.8 = $112)

The kickbacks and the 50% lines have been headaches with the 9 line plan too (9 line bills as lump sum, unlike less than 9 lines. Kickback and 50 off attempt to only subtract from individual line charges now, of which there are none on 9 line...), ever since they mucked with the billing system 4 months ago. They haven't fixed these to work automatically again yet on our account.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

That $144 is not a bad deal. That is pretty close.
I never managed to pull one of the free lines, tried to, but they wouldn't let me go to 6. As much as i may sound all defensive, I appreciate the advice.
My initial point was that if T-Mobile could sell this thing, they could basically sell anything and Sprint would be nuts to mess with the management team.
Desp303
join:2005-04-13
Madison, WI

Desp303 to xrobertcmx

to xrobertcmx
Switching to the One plan is/was cheaper than the Simple Choice plan because TMO picked up the taxes. SC was $70 + taxes. One = $70. Definitely should have jumped on the switch to One plan incentive for free HD video upgrade for life.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Fascinating

"He sees a realization of the singularity, where people live with technology integrated in their bodies, sooner than most people think."

Alrighty.

Whatever happens, I hope they can figure out how to get better. It's been "just around the corner" for years.
chase fraud telephone number where is at&t u verse availability map how to change transmission fluid ford ranger bash for loop syntax i flushed something down the toilet windows 7 ssd trim how to use sunpass windshield wax rain x drano max build up remover reviews which is thicker 10w30 or 5w30 dd wrt static ip does fibe tv use internet 10 mile wifi antenna speed test broadband ipad charter ref code s0200 convert mbit to mbyte uses of crt monitor att uverse voicemail access clearwire internet service plans 2003 corolla oil change best dns servers for comcast settlement for soft tissue injury polyethylene glycol vs propylene glycol using rubbing compound on headlights login att yahoo email cw network on uverse install vanity light without electrical box costco gas station payment chase atm check deposit availability at&t internet max speed