astrabal service logo
All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest
Comments on news posted 2017-11-06 15:45:17: Comcast and several other major ISPs suffered significant, nationwide outages earlier today. ..

craftsman lawn mower cable replacement how to reset a belkin router best gas can spout direct tv signal to ird rock bit for post hole digger usps jersey city nj abc channel on bright house time warner cable guide not working arris advanced login comcast netgear router login philips led bulb enclosed fixture home depot magnetic screen door uverse static ip setup should i upgrade to ie11 on windows 7 verizon prepaid gift card craftsman garage door opener belt blue flame vs infrared heaters 12v 7.2ah lead acid battery food network channel on verizon fios optimum net email login kidde hardwire smoke alarm verizon fios payment center centurylink high speed internet review chase atm deposit availability 2005 maytag neptune washer my samsung fridge is not cooling how to shave palm trees how to repair clay sewer pipe run start capacitor lowes makita batteries 18v lithium ion repair 2003 jeep grand cherokee electrical problems
pooker314
join:2005-04-12
Brush Prairie, WA

2 recommendations

pooker314

trouble in PDX area

Yep, we had troubles in SW Washington. Ooma phone service was next to useless (very choppy), audio streaming basically didn't work, and many websites weren't accessible at all.
ramsaso
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
10.1 0.7
·DSL EXTREME
·AT&T DSL Service

6 recommendations

ramsaso

Re: trouble in PDX area

said by pooker314:

Ooma phone service was next to useless (very choppy)

... which I why I continue to advocate for people to subscribe to POTS service.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
115.5 12.2

4 recommendations

slyphoxj

said by ramsaso:

said by pooker314:

Ooma phone service was next to useless (very choppy)

... which I why I continue to advocate for people to subscribe to POTS service.

Or at least a cellular backup.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H
Ooma Telo

2 recommendations

devolved

That's what I have here. Ooma is my primary home phone and the cell phone is my home phone backup. Since Ooma has had a way to forward calls to a cell phone in the event of an internet outage for some time. So, even when someone does call my Ooma line and the network is down, the call comes through my cell phone.
pooker314
join:2005-04-12
Brush Prairie, WA

-1 recommendation

pooker314 to slyphoxj

to slyphoxj
That's what we use (cell backup). Basic Century Link POTS here is $22 plus another $7 or so in taxes/fees. And that doesn't include any calling outside the area, which is a problem given that Portland is just 12 miles away and is interstate long distance. So the basic POTS service wouldn't be a replacement for Ooma. It would just be an emergency phone. POTS service that includes long distance would be over $70 a month all in.
Ostracus
join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

1 recommendation

Ostracus to ramsaso

to ramsaso
Go to our basements for some POTS. But really, for a utility* ISPs are doing poorly. One point of failure for everything including VoIP.

*Harking back to all those "broadband is necessary and should be a utility" discussions.

TIGERON
join:2008-03-11
Boston, MA

32 recommendations

TIGERON

Get ready....

CenturyLink has just taken over. This is just the beginning of network connectivity issues. A bud once described dealing with CTL as a bunch of "assholes".

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

10 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

Re: Get ready....

said by TIGERON:

CenturyLink has just taken over. This is just the beginning of network connectivity issues. A bud once described dealing with CTL as a bunch of "assholes".

quote:
"We anticipate closing the transaction effective November 1, 2017."
Yeah, wow, that sure didn't take long!

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

4 recommendations

Morac to TIGERON

to TIGERON
I’ve dealt with CenturyLink and to call them incompetent would be an understatement. It does not at all surprise me that they would misconfigure something.

davoice
join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

2 recommendations

davoice to TIGERON

to TIGERON
Level3 was good for at least 3 nationwide outages a year as it was before Centurylink. Now they'll be overachievers.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

1 recommendation

TheTechGuru to TIGERON

to TIGERON
said by TIGERON:

Just about exactly what I was going to say...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Comcast reports issues are now resolved

FYI - The latest report on ComcastCares » at 3:38 PM ET:
quote:
Internet issues should now be resolved for almost all customers. We apologize for the inconvenience & thank you for your patience.

sd70mac
Premium Member
join:2015-10-18
Woodstock, IL

1 recommendation

sd70mac

Premium Member

The Facebook

I was wondering why Facebook and several other sites were slow to load or otherwise not working this morning. Now I know why. At least the issue seems to be resolved.
Sliffer21
join:2016-07-06
Dunbar, WV

3 recommendations

Sliffer21

Level 3 Outage

Comes just as they announced Century Link closing the acquisition, most likely caused by some sort of post merger process to bind the two to a more uniform service.
mikegallop
join:2013-09-07

1 recommendation

mikegallop

Re: Level 3 Outage

said by Sliffer21:

Comes just as they announced Century Link closing the acquisition, most likely caused by some sort of post merger process to bind the two to a more uniform expensive service.

FTFY

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
·Comcast XFINITY

4 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

Log file showed issues...

First log entry was at 12:51:06, high latency but still able to get the data through.

At 12:53:35 data stopped going through.

The issue continued off and on until just after 14:21:20, when it appeared to be resolved.

I haven't seen any issues since then.

(edit: times are EST)
wdunwoody
join:2003-11-06
Manasquan, NJ

wdunwoody

Re: Log file showed issues...

said by camper:

At 12:53:35 data stopped going through

...I was online around 12:30, and everything was fine... Until just before 1:00pm, when everything ground to a halt. I'm on Verizon FIOS, and have noted multiple connectivity issues for the past several days... Blinking white network light on the router. Figured it was Verizon, but the router checked okay. I tried a ping test on the DNS address I use: 4.2.2.1, which I think is Level3. Pings all failed. Added an alternate DNS address, and everything took off and worked fine...

Still wondering about the Verizon router issue over the past several days. Since installation 11 months ago, I've never noticed the white "network" light blinking...

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

outage?

There were outages? I guess I was just lucky...no slowness or outages for me...and I have Spectrum (TWC previously). oh yeah, my landline (CLink) was working also.

Anonacddb
@2601:8b.x

Anonacddb

Anon

On Comcast - but only affected Facebook & Twitter

I’m On Comcast - but outage only affected my Facebook & Twitter access. Access to other sites was ok. Problems started about 11 a.m. ET and lasted until 3 p.m.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Level 3's Explanation

Comcast, Others Dealing With Internet Outage
Level 3 says ‘configuration error’ caused disruption and service has been restored

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - November 6, 2017
»multichannel.com/new ··· e/416363
quote:
... Update: Level 3 issued this statement at about 3:30 pm ET: "On Monday, Nov. 6, our network experienced a service disruption affecting some customers with IP-based services. The disruption was caused by a configuration error. We know how important these services are to our customers. Our technicians were able to restore service within approximately 90 minutes."

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
·Verizon FiOS
·Charter
Linksys WRT1200AC
Edimax BR-6208AC
Obihai OBi200

1 recommendation

Packeteers

Premium Member

Re: Level 3's Explanation

my latency is better than usual now
level 3 should screw up more often

reminds me after a charter local fiber cut,
my coax isp enjoyed the best connection ever!
sadly, it was right before i cancelled it

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

Can be prevented

Issues like this can be prevented using products that test upstream connectivity and reroute to alternate carriers if there's a problem. No excuses for not employing this other than cheaping out.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

1 recommendation

plat2on1

Re: Can be prevented

said by NOCMan:

Issues like this can be prevented using products that test upstream connectivity and reroute to alternate carriers if there's a problem. No excuses for not employing this other than cheaping out.

pretty sure they did, seemed like the alternate paths were just completely swamped

Simba7
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

8 recommendations

Simba7

CenturyLink

Screwing up one network at a time. Almost as bad as Charter.

Charter "Hey, we screwed up the network *AND* we're charging more for our services and really gouging our customers!"

CenturyLink "Hold my beer"

battleop
join:2005-09-28

2 recommendations

battleop

Re: CenturyLink

"we're charging more for our services and really gouging our customers!"

This is standard operating procedure for Level(3). They are the most expensive quote I've ever seen for on network bandwidth (56 Marietta) of any company I've ever been quoted. They are generally twice or more expensive than AT&T DIA that's delivered from a CO into 56 Marietta that's not in the same building.

I keep telling the Level(3) guy that's always calling on me to stop wasting my time with their insanely expensive quotes.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

1 recommendation

firedrakes to Simba7

to Simba7
but alt-east their crap works

hamburglar
join:2002-04-29
united state

hamburglar

Interesting

Speculum was flawless all day during my telecommute.
Dog2puppy
join:2017-09-27
Union City, OH

8 recommendations

Dog2puppy

Only the start...

This is just the start of issues we’re going to have with Level3 being acquired by CenturyLink.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

Re: Only the start...

Centurylink has been decent on enterprise type services but they flat out suck on SMB and Residential service. I'm afraid even that's going to go away now that the L3/CTL merger is done. Once a company gets to a certain size it's pretty much impossible to keep things under control.
Beck38
join:2014-05-12
Centralia, WA

5 recommendations

Beck38

Tracking Probs Across US for 3+Days

I've been tracking problems across the US starting is SF to DC to ATL to DAL to SEA over the weekend, as I transmit high volumes of data to cloud services located in the Tysons Corner area of Virginia, so across the country from Seattle. Just because L3 has the probs it affects all the other major transmission companies and their throughput as well. I've been jumping from one route to another all day today trying to get my data stream back approching 'normal' speeds almost to no avail.

I think there are more problems out there in transmission/router plants than simply L3/Centurylink, after spending close to 40 years constructing and operating transcontinental and transoceanic fiber systems, now retired, I see most operators simply not paying attention to their systems, outsourcing maintenance and engineering to service companies (and I worked for the myself) and mostly take their paycheck and run. Same as what we see with programming 'services' that allow not just the hack of the month, but hack of the day and even hour.

I'm sure they're good professional folks out there but I think it's getting few and far between from what I see.
gtb
join:2016-05-16
Sunnyvale, CA

5 recommendations

gtb

Route leak

Wired has posted an analysis of the outage: »wired.com/story/how- ··· -the-us/ which concludes that this was a route leak (happened before, likely will happen again).

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: Route leak

Here's a bit more detail from Dyn on Level 3's "route leak":

Widespread impact caused by Level 3 BGP route leak
By Doug Madory, Dyn Research - November 7, 2017
»dyn.com/blog/widespread- ··· te-leak/
Beck38
join:2014-05-12
Centralia, WA

1 recommendation

Beck38

Better but still some wobblies

Trans-continental data throughput is 'normal' on the routes I'm using (cogentco at present) but still some wobbliness contacting some websites including this one (I'm in Seattle on Comcast so right in the bullseye).
All goes to show everyone just how fragile the whole system is, and needs lots more effort in router s/w to make things a lot more bulletproof.

chuch
join:2001-04-11
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

chuch

That didn't take long...

...for Centurylink to screw this up.
craftsman lawn mower cable replacement how to reset a belkin router best gas can spout direct tv signal to ird rock bit for post hole digger usps jersey city nj abc channel on bright house time warner cable guide not working arris advanced login comcast netgear router login philips led bulb enclosed fixture home depot magnetic screen door uverse static ip setup should i upgrade to ie11 on windows 7 verizon prepaid gift card craftsman garage door opener belt blue flame vs infrared heaters 12v 7.2ah lead acid battery food network channel on verizon fios optimum net email login kidde hardwire smoke alarm verizon fios payment center centurylink high speed internet review chase atm deposit availability 2005 maytag neptune washer my samsung fridge is not cooling how to shave palm trees how to repair clay sewer pipe run start capacitor lowes makita batteries 18v lithium ion repair 2003 jeep grand cherokee electrical problems