astrabal service logo
All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
what time does usps stop delivering priority mail time warner cable forums 14.99 time warner internet how much does it cost to replace a alternator home alarm battery lowes comcast on demand keeps freezing registering birth in ontario turn off rain bird sprinkler head ge gas dryer not heating www roadrunner com email login fiber optic speed test fedex home delivery vs express saver how to remove silicon caulk cable dsl speed test where is solitaire on windows 7 echo leaf blower troubleshooting verizon fios comedy central channel is it illegal to hang a flag upside down average lifespan of a water heater arris modem online light not on shockwave plugin not responding in chrome verizon fios static ip setup brighthouse high speed internet price toro recycler briggs and stratton engine google voice voip adapter block unknown callers verizon turn off xfinity voicemail fios channel line up honda civic 2005 maintenance required light home depot recycle fluorescent tubes how to check verizon imei toilet leaking around base samsung lcd tv no picture but has sound how do i cancel my vonage account
81399672 (banned)
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

Do you have to tip taxi driver?

I need to take a taxi for the first time in my life in los angeles for 15min ride, and wondering if i need to tip the taxi driver?

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

Phil

Premium Member

You should.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to 81399672

Premium Member

to 81399672
Yes, tip. In many cases cab drivers live off their tips just like waiters do.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to 81399672

MVM

to 81399672
You never HAVE to - but you should if they did an acceptable job...

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium Member
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

1 edit

Combat Chuck to 81399672

Premium Member

to 81399672
said by 81399672:

I need to take a taxi for the first time in my life in los angeles for 15min ride, and wondering if i need to tip the taxi driver?
My rule of thumb on tipping (tho based on reality and not any sort of etiquette) is you tip when the person's skill serving you has a direct affect on the level of service. For instance waiters get a tip, the guy making my sandwich at subway doesn't; and I'd probably tip a travel agent before I'd tip a skycap (which is why I don't use skycaps when I fly).

Basically I look at tipping from a very darwinistic point of view. You give a good tip to encourage those who are good at a skills based job to continue doing it, and a bad or no tip to discourage those who are bad at their job in the hopes they'll go find something else to do.

I'd tip a taxi driver as his skill at navigating a cities streets directly affects your experience.
81399672 (banned)
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

thanks for everyone reply,guess i should tip the driver. Regarding your last comment, i can give driver turn by turn directions(so i don't really care if he knows were he is going or not, once he gets to my place), would that make a difference?

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

No - no taxi driver knows every place in a city/town.

Akasha
OT Queen
Premium Member
join:2006-08-10
Am I lost?

Akasha to 81399672

Premium Member

to 81399672
I don't know... I'm kinda thinking it all depends on the service (attitude) you get. If the taxi driver is rude and arrogant and he/she is driving like a maniac, I'd say no. If you have a nice driver and he/she is courteous and friendly, yes!

BodyBumper
join:2004-06-21
Beverly Hills, CA

BodyBumper to 81399672

to 81399672
If you want to tip them go for it but don't feel compelled to after all you probably wouldn't tip bus drivers, cable/sat TV installers, grocery baggers or even police officers.

RideRed
Vista needs a popup blocker for Vista
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
USA

RideRed to 81399672

Premium Member

to 81399672
You don't have to, it's a gratuity. If you don't have any issues with the service, toss the guy a few extra bucks.

takeahike
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Muskogee, OK

4 edits

takeahike to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
As a former driver for five years in New York City I can tell you that tip income is essential if a taxi driver is to make even a semi-adequate living. It's not true in every industry but it is in this one, similar to a waiter or waitress. It should be considered part of the cost as it is when you eat at a restaurant.

Another thing: it's so much considered part of their income that if a driver didn't report any tips on his income tax and was audited, the IRS would definitely include at least 15% of his commission earnings as taxable income (and maybe more because commissions are typically about half of the total fare, commonly know as 'bookings').

CylonRed: Sorry, I did misunderstand your post. I corrected mine.

antwanp
Lovably Pompous
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Cedar Hill, TX

antwanp to BodyBumper

Premium Member

to BodyBumper
said by BodyBumper:

If you want to tip them go for it but don't feel compelled to after all you probably wouldn't tip bus drivers, cable/sat TV installers, grocery baggers or even police officers.
I tip the my cable and satellite guys when they come out to repair something if they do a good job. Grocery baggers, it just depends on the store. Cabbies, I definitely tip, like a waiter, most do live off of tips.

-Antwan L.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to takeahike

MVM

to takeahike
You have miunderstood my 2 posts... If the driver is good then tip - no different than a waiter/waitress - bad service = low or no tip. Giving the driver instructions does NOT matter as the OP asked...

Elcabong
Cuba SI, Castro NO
join:2000-03-09
Philadelphia, PA

Elcabong to 81399672

to 81399672
Yes, tip, it's always good karma. I was in a death cab once in Philly. The driver was speeding through narrow lanes, hitting dips and potholes, bouncing around and just driving like a wildman. I was afraid to tell him to slow down because I thought this guy might lose it and hit a wall. I gave him a $5. tip just to let me out, lol!

Rob
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL
88.3 11.9

Rob

Premium Member

said by Elcabong:

Yes, tip, it's always good karma. I was in a death cab once in Philly. The driver was speeding through narrow lanes, hitting dips and potholes, bouncing around and just driving like a wildman. I was afraid to tell him to slow down because I thought this guy might lose it and hit a wall. I gave him a $5. tip just to let me out, lol!
haha. I bet he does it on purpose to get the tips!

Desi
Premium Member
join:2002-05-05
Kanata, ON

Desi to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
I currently drive a cab part time here in Ottawa. Our pay structure appears to be quite different from that of takeahike See Profile. That being said, a tip does go a long way in this industry regardless. I don't expect tips, but I sure as hell appreciate them. What pisses me off is people that don't round off. We don't have the luxury of a cash register, so it's a pain in the ass digging through a cupholder of change for nickels and dimes.

Also, keep in mind, with a taxi the service dosen't stop as soon as you pay. I don't bother charging people the grocery bag/luggage surcharge. If I don't get a tip, I'm not going to help you haull your shit to your house/luggage cart. I'll push the trunk button and sit there. Obvious exception here for seniors/disabled/people who clearly can't afford it. But if your wearing a nice suit and I'm dropping you off infront of a million dollar house, well, you get the idea...

Elcabong
Cuba SI, Castro NO
join:2000-03-09
Philadelphia, PA

Elcabong to Rob

to Rob
Lol, you may be right!
whocares0
Premium Member
join:2003-07-26

1 edit

whocares0 to Phil

Premium Member

to Phil
said by Phil:

You should.
WHY,because everyone is accustommed to giving a
tip-gratuity

a "TIP" is a way of saying Thank you for going/doing beside JUST YOUR JOB,a gift or a sum of money tendered for a service performed or anticipated
In the case of a taxi driver,
Did he or she open the car door for you?
Did they load all your bags GENTLY into their cab,?
DID they take you the most direct route to your destination.

what EXTRA did the cab driver do beside drive the cab,

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to 81399672

to 81399672
said by 81399672:

if you have to wonder about something like that minuscule detail, might as well not think of it, at all... would you tip a barber who owns the place? some people tip the trash pick up guys 10 bucks for x-mas...

...if you ever wanna tip, please don't insult them by giving them too little... I would not unless he was courteous, quick and reliable...
gatchel
join:2000-11-28

gatchel to whocares0

to whocares0
I agree. I don't tip unless the person is friendly and does more than just turn the steering wheel or drop plates of food on my table. If they suck...no tip. I have done it several times. If they were just doing their job to the minimum to keep me from calling over a manager they get very little...

I have also been known to tip 25% to 30% when he service warrants it. Glasses that are never empty, frosted mug with the beer of root beer, or proper handling of my wifes onion allergy.

Tip if you think they deserve it not because you feel obligated too. If the driver speaks english, that's a good start.

Good luck.
81399672 (banned)
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

So if all the driver does is turn the steering wheel(all that driver will do for me)then you would not tip?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by 81399672:

So if all the driver does is turn the steering wheel(all that driver will do for me)then you would not tip?
If he don't go over the speed limit, runs stop lights, cross funeral processions park in no parking zones and says sir and have good manners you tip. Now if he drives like you do go the speed limit, runs red lights crosses funeral processions then no

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to 81399672

to 81399672
I always tip unless given a reason not to. Only cheap people don't tip. If you could spare a few dollars, why is it such a big deal? That few dollars will probably mean more to a cabbie than to you (not knowing your financial situation).

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
Holiday, FL

2 recommendations

La Luna to 81399672

Premium Member

to 81399672
Just give the guy a damn tip, that's how they make a living, off the tips, not the sub-standard wages they get paid. They get taxed an automatic 15% on *assumed* tips whether you give one or not, so it seems that he should get one (unless he tries to kill you) if they are going to be taxed for it.

Geez, it's not rocket science.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to 81399672

Premium Member

to 81399672
You have a fleet of trucks don't you?
Have one of your drivers drive you where you need to go and write it off somehow. I'm surprised you're even contemplating taking a cab.
-
many of these smaller known cabs are rented on a daily basis. I have a friend here who used to drive a taxi, his car rent was $175/day plus he had to pay for his own gasoline. ended up quitting because after expenses it wasn't much money. he was one of those old school drivers(you know, open the door for ladies, load their luggage etc...)
81399672 (banned)
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

fleet in la and i am in the valley, plus all drivers are off

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

You never HAVE to - but you should if they did an acceptable job...
Case in point:
On a trip to Disney World, our bus driver was using this "hook" to snag the luggage from underneath the bus. Well, he managed to rip the handle on one of my pieces of brand new luggage. I confronted him about this and he just said "It happens."
No tip for you!

wwdubbia
join:2002-06-03
Clinton, NY

wwdubbia to dvd536

to dvd536
it's just common practice to tip a cabbie.

i'm a bit speechless at the fact that you even asked the question.

gabeman
join:2001-05-03
New York, NY

gabeman to 81399672

to 81399672
YES! Tip the driver! Unless the guy punches you in the face, you're obligated to tip. Giving a tip is REQUIRED. I never tip less than 15%, but I tip 20% on average, and maybe a bit more if the service is exceptional.
81399672 (banned)
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

Can you please explain the part about required? By what regulation?
what time does usps stop delivering priority mail time warner cable forums 14.99 time warner internet how much does it cost to replace a alternator home alarm battery lowes comcast on demand keeps freezing registering birth in ontario turn off rain bird sprinkler head ge gas dryer not heating www roadrunner com email login fiber optic speed test fedex home delivery vs express saver how to remove silicon caulk cable dsl speed test where is solitaire on windows 7 echo leaf blower troubleshooting verizon fios comedy central channel is it illegal to hang a flag upside down average lifespan of a water heater arris modem online light not on shockwave plugin not responding in chrome verizon fios static ip setup brighthouse high speed internet price toro recycler briggs and stratton engine google voice voip adapter block unknown callers verizon turn off xfinity voicemail fios channel line up honda civic 2005 maintenance required light home depot recycle fluorescent tubes how to check verizon imei toilet leaking around base samsung lcd tv no picture but has sound how do i cancel my vonage account