astrabal service logo
All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
epp for federal employees vintage eagle gas can vudu to go download folder what is the difference between ecc and registered memory cost to fix gas gauge honda civic 2002 timing belt replacement cost verizon wireless customer service 1800 phone number smoke detector hard wired beeping timer for water heater cheap laptops with wifi comcast limited basic cable do coil spring boosters work bits in a kilobyte airport express setup windows 7 outlook 2010 won t start furnace leaking water when ac is on what is a double bevel sliding mitre saw what should i torque my lug nuts to halo ce console commands comcast boca raton channels modems compatible with comcast murray lawn mower carburetor whirlpool oven thermostat replacement gas furnace keeps shutting off brampton test drive centre how good is hughesnet gen4 straight talk minutes refill how to turn off sink water valve satellite internet service providers by zip code power steering smells burnt

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

Gas MPG of a Ford Explorer vs. a Chevy Tahoe?

I was involved in a wreck with my Highlander and they said it may possibly be totaled. If it is I am probaly going to gte an 07" Ford Explorer with the 4.0 Liter V6 or like an 05" or 06" Chevrolet Tahoe with the 5.3 liter V8.
What is the real life MPG of both car's?

imrf
Premium Member
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

said by iLive4Fusion:

If it is I am probaly going to gte an 07" Ford Explorer with the 4.0 Liter V6 or like an 05" or 06" Chevrolet Tahoe with the 5.3 liter V8.
What is the real life MPG of both car's?
You do know that the Tahoe quite a bit bigger than an Explorer. The Trailblazers, Envoys, and Rainiers are in the same class as the Explorer.

But back to the question. I have a 2000 Sierra which is pretty close to the same size as a Tahoe, and I see 16-17 MPG city driving quite regularly. So a newer Tahoe should get the same or a tad bit better.

fatalz
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Fayetteville, NC

fatalz to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
I sell Fords...and after driving them long distances, I can see an average of ABOUT 18-19 MPG driving nicely on the highway..

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma to iLive4Fusion

MVM

to iLive4Fusion
I have an older Explorer with the 4.0 V6, and get about 12-13 city and 18-19 highway.

lagged9
join:2001-10-30
Narberth, PA

lagged9 to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Tahoe with the displacement on demand is 13 - 15 city, 20 highway. But the Explorer and Tahoe are very different vehicles...

Hmmmmmmm
@rogers.com

Hmmmmmmm to iLive4Fusion

Anon

to iLive4Fusion
I wonder how accurate these new EPA numbers are.

Explorer: 13 city, 18 highway
»fueleconomy.gov/feg/ ··· id=23788

Tahoe: 13 city, 18 highway
»fueleconomy.gov/feg/ ··· id=22481

Amr
Pointing out the obvious
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
San Antonio, TX

Amr to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Any reason why your going with those SUV's and not a more fuel friendly SUV if your wondering about MPG?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to Hmmmmmmm

Premium Member

to Hmmmmmmm
They're usually much higher than you will get in real life.

CatSnak
Live to Ride
Premium Member
join:2001-05-06
Ashland, OR

1 edit

CatSnak to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
I have an '04 F-150 with a 4.6L V8 and an '97 Explorer with a V6 and they get about the same MPG. The F-150 gets maybe 1 or 2 MPG less but the Explorer has a smaller tank so that after 2 days of commute the Explorer is literally sitting on E while the F-150 has about 1/4 tank left. I would guess that with an '07 Explorer vs. an '05 or '06 Tahoe the Explorer would probably get a few MPG better then the Tahoe.
Dime
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Ohio

1 edit

Dime to bobrk

Premium Member

to bobrk
I have found the exact opposite. Over an average I found that I got 4MPG better then what the EPA said combined.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
88.5 0.8
·Time Warner Cable

CylonRed to Hmmmmmmm

MVM

to Hmmmmmmm
said by Hmmmmmmm :

I wonder how accurate these new EPA numbers are.

Explorer: 13 city, 18 highway
»fueleconomy.gov/feg/ ··· id=23788

Tahoe: 13 city, 18 highway
»fueleconomy.gov/feg/ ··· id=22481
It will depend on how you drive... Give me a car with a manual and I will routinly beat EPA by at least 2 mpg if not 5... Harder to do with a auto but driving style is the #1 contributer to MPG.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to bobrk

to bobrk
said by bobrk:

They're usually much higher than you will get in real life.
Or they might be much less. My car is rated 24 in the city and I routinely get 29 mpg or better. Keep your car maintained, your tire pressure high, your RPMs low, and momentum on your side and you can consistently score higher fuel economy.

Hmmmmmmm
@rogers.com

Hmmmmmmm to bobrk

Anon

to bobrk
bob,

Yes, they would be higher, that is why the EPA released the new numbers.

By the old calculation the Explorer would get 15 city and 20 on the highway, where the new numbers (13 city and 18 highway) account for "Faster Speeds and Acceleration, Air Conditioner Use, Colder Outside Temperatures". But I still have to wonder, as I personally don't do any highway driving at all and in Canada it snows eight months out of the year.

rjackson,
you are also right. While I generally avoid Mother Jones, I did enjoy this artice which some of you may have seen before: This Guy Can Get 59 MPG in a Plain Old Accord
»motherjones.com/news ··· ers.html

Hehe, love the story of the guys getting 109 MPG in a Prius.

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
join:2001-04-12
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34 to Amr

to Amr
said by Amr:

Any reason why your going with those SUV's and not a more fuel friendly SUV if your wondering about MPG?
Interesting that you ask that since his Highlander was a hybrid. You would think he would want something smaller more efficient. I guess they found way more damage to it when they started pulling it apart.

dfc888
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

dfc888 to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Get the Explorer! Much nicer interior quality and design than the Tahoe in my opinion; the 07, or was it the 06 with the updated interior is a beaut!

I've never had enough time to play with the new Tahoe, but I've gotten around 17MPG (mixed city/hwy) once in an '05 Explorer.

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34 to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Since you are not adverse to foreign cars, maybe you could take a look at a VW Touareg. I love mine and I got it after owning two Lincoln Navigators and still own an Explorer. So you can see I like Ford as well but love my VW.

akhbhaat
join:2001-02-22
Seattle, WA

akhbhaat to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Isn't this essentially like asking how many calories are in a Big Mac vs. a BK Whopper? Do you really want to know - and should you be eating either if you actually care?

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium Member
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT

Glenn

Premium Member

said by akhbhaat:

Isn't this essentially like asking how many calories are in a Big Mac vs. a BK Whopper? Do you really want to know - and should you be eating either if you actually care?
That's not very helpful. Thumbsdown.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
22.8 2.0
·SONIC

bobrk to rjackson

Premium Member

to rjackson
True that. Driving style and your specific routes are much more important when looking at EPA numbers. No one will ever match those numbers unless they drive the "EPA route," whatever that is.

What purpose they serve, however, is to give people a rough benchmark for comparing cars, and in that, I think they are quite successful.

dirtyjeffer
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
if you are looking at the explorer, get the V8, there won't be much of a difference in fuel economy (as the V6 just has to work harder to do the same work, meaning it loses its efficiency).

if cost is a concern, most of those vehicles depreciate VERY quickly...instead of getting an '07 with a V6, why not look at an '05 or '06 with a V8 and low miles?...you will save thousands of dollars, and get a better equipped vehicle...let someone else take a big hit on the depreciation.

rds24a
Teach Your Children
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Newton Upper Falls, MA

1 edit

rds24a to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
MPG aside, the 4.0 V6 is not the best engine. I'm sure (or I hope) they've improved on it since 2000, but I had one and a friend had one. Mine did everything but burn. His did everything.

I switched at the time to a V8 Explorer and had my mileage go up. The higher gearing led to lower RPMs and less fuel comsumption. I don't know if you can get that Tahoe with different gears or not, but be careful in your comparisons because it will make a difference.

imrf
Premium Member
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

said by rds24a:

I don't know if you can get that Tahoe with different gears or not, but be careful in your comparisons because it will make a difference.
Yes, they do offer two different gear ratios, 3.73 or a 4.10.

USAOwnz
RIP dadkins
Premium Member
join:2003-11-15
P.R.C.

USAOwnz to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Have you looked at the Honda Pilots ?

IcEr3K
Premium Member
join:2001-01-19
Los Angeles, CA

IcEr3K to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
2002 Explorer -- 5-speed auto, when I do a majority of city driving it's about 14mpg, highway is about 17-18, had 22mpg once by setting it on cruise control to Vegas.

iEvolution
join:2006-06-24
Ogden, UT

1 recommendation

iEvolution to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
I do not UNDERSTAND the point of all these gas guzzling SUVs unless a) you have a big family, b) you hail a lot of stuff back and forth.

Same with the trucks, If I had a dime for every 16 year-old driving a Ford SuperDuty I'd be rich. Trucks are great if you are hauling heavy funiture or trailers..but damn its not a good daily driver. A 16 year-old certainly has no use for it.

imrf
Premium Member
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

It's a personal preference. Some just don't want a small car. Some people may not see the point in small cars. Why does it bother you so much that someone wants to drive a large SUV or truck? I have a large truck and don't use it for it's intended purpose for the most part because I chose it. I don't like small cars at all, so I won't buy one.

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium Member
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT

Glenn to iEvolution

Premium Member

to iEvolution
said by iEvolution:

I do not UNDERSTAND the point of all these gas guzzling SUVs unless a) you have a big family, b) you hail a lot of stuff back and forth.

Same with the trucks, If I had a dime for every 16 year-old driving a Ford SuperDuty I'd be rich. Trucks are great if you are hauling heavy funiture or trailers..but damn its not a good daily driver. A 16 year-old certainly has no use for it.
It's called capitalism...you can buy what you want.

After never thinking I'd own a larger vehicle, I'm driving around in a 2003 Grand Cherokee we picked up in November. I have no idea how how lived without it for so long. It's great to tow my ATV around with, great for trips to the Depot and just great for hauling crap.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
88.5 0.8
·Time Warner Cable

CylonRed to imrf

MVM

to imrf
said by imrf:

It's a personal preference. Some just don't want a small car. Some people may not see the point in small cars. Why does it bother you so much that someone wants to drive a large SUV or truck? I have a large truck and don't use it for it's intended purpose for the most part because I chose it. I don't like small cars at all, so I won't buy one.
I think the perception is that a lot of large car owners are *usually* the first to whine about gas prices when they go up which usually are the SUV owners.

I don't haul stuff and don't have boats/motorcycles - I have never understood driving a Tahoe to go grocery shopping. We do have a minivan because of kids but most of the time when we don't have the kids we drive the other smaller vehicles.

I think the SUV owners would have a better rep if so many did not whine about gas prices...

Just my perception - nothing more, nothing less.

imrf
Premium Member
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

I think the perception is that a lot of large car owners are *usually* the first to whine about gas prices when they go up which usually are the SUV owners.
I agree. Many do complain about high gas costs now. A few years ago they didn't make a peep. When I bought my truck brand new in 2000 I had a feeling the prices were going to go up so I knew what I was getting into and it didn't bother me when the gas prices went skyrocketing. Some people just don't think things through.

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34 to iEvolution

to iEvolution
said by iEvolution:

What I find more interesting here in UT is the amount of guys with lifted PU's and SUV's that never take the damn things off road. Oh and they drive them like they are sports cars as well expecting them to stop on a dime. There are a hell of a lot of modified diesels that haul nothing but the azzes of the drivers in them. Seems a waste to me but to each their own.
epp for federal employees vintage eagle gas can vudu to go download folder what is the difference between ecc and registered memory cost to fix gas gauge honda civic 2002 timing belt replacement cost verizon wireless customer service 1800 phone number smoke detector hard wired beeping timer for water heater cheap laptops with wifi comcast limited basic cable do coil spring boosters work bits in a kilobyte airport express setup windows 7 outlook 2010 won t start furnace leaking water when ac is on what is a double bevel sliding mitre saw what should i torque my lug nuts to halo ce console commands comcast boca raton channels modems compatible with comcast murray lawn mower carburetor whirlpool oven thermostat replacement gas furnace keeps shutting off brampton test drive centre how good is hughesnet gen4 straight talk minutes refill how to turn off sink water valve satellite internet service providers by zip code power steering smells burnt