astrabal service logo
All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
10w30 vs 5w30 motor oil comcast expanded basic price ebay paypal pending payment flavours of unix operating system how much does a trash man get paid how to calculate subnet mask what should the torque be on lug nuts leaking furnace air conditioner terro ant bait traps average cost to rent a bobcat 331 area code zip code outlook 2010 gmail pop settings gran turismo license cheats what does burnt transmission fluid smell like att yahoo mail login comcast internet signal strength battery cannot be identified dell vtech dect 6.0 phone earthlink webmail sign up 1000 gallon propane tank cost roku cannot connect to local network walgreens cash back amounts cable modem power level time warner cable modem ubee how to change windstream wifi password comcast x1 box cost at&t prepaid sim card walmart comcast hd technology fee cablecard comcast net channel guide can i port my vonage number to google voice rt ac66u vpn server verizon prepaid gift card where is at&t u verse availability map verizon fios nfl network xfinity self install internet charter communications corporate headquarters how do you get netflix on verizon fios

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
·EarthLink
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..

4 edits

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

Rented the Rug Doctor. Result? Owned!

The Rug Doctor is not something you want to rent if you have serious stains and ground-in dirt within your carpets. I even used the pre-cleaning treatment and it didn't help at all.

I know the commercials say it will pick up this and that. Not true. I rented it today from a local Lowe's. I returned it after 2 hours of use for a refund of my rental fee.

It did not take out deep dirt or stains. It will pick up some surface dirt but if you haven't had your carpets cleaned in a long time (a coupe of years or so), skip the Rug Doctor and call a professional. Some things are not meant for DIY-ers. All I have to show from this experience is wet carpet and a refund.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

1 recommendation

davidg

MVM

obviously you either don't know how to use it properly, had a defective unit, or the stains are permanently set in. i can clean carpets as good as the pros with a rental unit.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
I have had excellent results with my Rug Doctor. Yes I own one. Works just as well as Stanley Steemers did.

code monkey
Premium Member
join:2005-08-04
Hurricane, WV

code monkey to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
I rented one for a day when I moved out of our trailer to clean bad pet stains. Under one chair our pet turned the carpet almost black. I used the cleaner that is sold right beside it and it turned the carpet white as new. It took me all day, considering I took my time, but it should take a while to do carpet. These stains were extremely set in and very nasty. No way I could clean it that well without the Rug Doctor.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

Ugh, how did you live there?

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
Last time I rented one for car cleaning after about an hour of continuous use it just shut off (overheating). The hand nozzle did not allow me to reach some corners in the car.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
Long Island

Jeffrey to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
I'm not sure why you had a problem. Superbowl Sunday back in February my fiancee spilled 50 hot wings on the 1 month old rug.

Rented a Rug Doctor from the local store, and from what my eyes can tell, 100% of the stain came out.

exocet_cm
Pirates?
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Virginia

1 recommendation

exocet_cm

Premium Member

Oh I would've been PISSED!

Thats 50 formerly good wings!
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA
66.8 26.0

cahiatt to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
From managing 200 rental homes, I've never seen a portable rug doctor type unit clean carpet as well as a experienced professional using a truck mount system.

I've seen some guys that can take the d out of dirt. It has been well worth it to us to spend the extra $100 to $150 and let a pro do it.

Try calling one or two apartment complexes. They'll probably have someone that does a good job for cheap.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

I agree. I had my carpets professionally cleaned a couple of years ago and you can see the difference.
mjwalfredo
join:2007-06-05
Columbia, SC

mjwalfredo to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
In my experience, they do a great job making the carpet look new for a couple of weeks but after a while the dirt starts to show up again. But even so, I am bad about getting dirt in the house and having 3 dogs doesn't help much either. So in my experience, using the rug doctor every once in a while is worth it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

Well, that depends on if they were able to pick any of them up and still eat 'em

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
Long Island

Jeffrey

Premium Member

said by KrK:
said by exocet_cm:

Well, that depends on if they were able to pick any of them up and still eat 'em
We saved about 30 of them or so. My Lab spotted it, and it was off to the races by that point. We saved what we could, and extended the 5-second rule to 30 seconds.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

10 second rule applies!

MattBC
Out of the gym injured for 12 months now
Premium Member
join:2006-02-01
Victoria, BC

1 recommendation

MattBC to Jeffrey

Premium Member

to Jeffrey
said by Jeffrey:

We saved what we could, and extended the 5-second rule to 30 seconds.
said by pokesph:

10 second rule applies!
He beat your comment by 14 minutes.

Matt

AlexNYC
join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

1 edit

AlexNYC to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
Yes, I've tried the rental carpet cleaning stuff before and it doesn't do nearly as good af a job as the pros ... just my two cents ...

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

Snakeoil to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
When I lived in the Atlanta area, we always used one company. I forgot their name, but their trucks were white with a green Strip with the company's name in the strip.
They were very good, proofessional, and reasonable in price.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Ravensdale, WA

toby to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
A stain is permanent, so if it really was a stain it can never be taken out.

If you have used a rug cleaner to take out a stain, then of course it wasn't a stain.

Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
I use the rug doctor all the time and think it does a fantastic job. Is it as good as the pros, probably not... But my wallet appreciates the DIY job and my eyes still say everything is much cleaner.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
Meh....my parents have used the rentals and came out with decent results.

Myself? I have a friend who does damage restoration and cleaning. It takes some skill to know the chemical(s) to apply to pre-treat, how long to let them sit, what you are going to use in the extraction phase, etc.

The kid couldn't tell you the square root of 9, but somehow he managed to get a 2'x2' spot of RUST out of CARPET.

One of the oddest things was first thing he made me clean was my shoes. Sounds logical - right? Dirty shoes will dirty up the carpet. Nope. I walked around with a deodorizer and pretreatment in a large sprayer. If there was a "spot", you soaked it until it foamed and then used your foot to "massage" the spot out. I'll be damned but after going around a room using this method the carpet looked almost devoid of all spots. After going around the room with the machine, though, the carpet looked significantly less dull. After he cleaned all the rooms the house actually smelled better.

The ones you rent at HD or Lowes - do they require two dedicated 15a outlets? This one did....and still dimmed the lights - and this wasn't even the biggest unit they had!

My solution for after that point? I ripped the carpets out and replaced them with hard wood
Doubledee32
join:2002-06-20
Charlotte, NC

Doubledee32 to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
I rented one of these babies back a few months ago and it worked WONDERS for me. I had some major stains on my carpet and decided to give it a try and was VERY impressed. Your doing something wrong no doubt about it. I just don't see how anyone could say these units don't work.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to bobrk

Premium Member

to bobrk
said by bobrk:

Ugh, how did you live there?
Man!
That's what I thought!!

Phew!!

Swingerhead
Premium Member
join:2004-04-06
Richmond, VA

Swingerhead to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
Hey,,,,

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

runnoft

Premium Member

Right on, Swingerhead.

Most people who complain about bad results with rental or good home carpet cleaning units like Bissells are making one of three mistakes:

1. They waited too long. Many people wait YEARS to wash carpets and wonder why one or two passes with something inexpensive (including the bargain pro services) don't get their carpets looking like new. We have light-colored carpet, and leave our shoes on in the house, and have pets. Our highest-traffic light-colored carpets need washing every six weeks with a home machine. The first time I did it, having waited years, the water was still black on the tenth rinse. Now the second rinse is pretty clean. With pro services, no pets, shoes off, annual cleaning may suffice.

2. They didn't follow the equipment instructions to the letter. Many people try to go like with a vacuum cleaner, back and forth, taking a few minutes per room. Not nearly enough. With DIY setups, you need to vacuum first, pretreat all extra-dirty areas, and then make repeated S-L-O-W passes. It's a time-intensive process, which is why the good pro services are not cheap.

3. They didn't rinse enough. No-rinse cleaning will never be effective. Detergents don't make dirt evaporate. They loosen it. It's repeated rinsing that removes loosened dirt, not detergents. Don't use too much detergent, because you'll have trouble rinsing it all out, and if any detergent residue is left when you're done, dirt sticks to it, and a few weeks later, your carpet looks lousy again.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

cowboyro to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
I've used the Rug Doctor in the past, if you take your time it does a great job. Made the carpet like new - but I did multiple slow passes.
walta
join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO

walta to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
I have had better luck with a shop vacuum, bucket of water and a scrub brush. Sometime a little Dawn water on the spots. But then you will need to spend some time on your hand and knees working

Walta

Link8
join:2001-12-16
Davis, CA

1 edit

Link8 to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
Before we had wood floors, we used to hire a guy (that became a sort of friend).. crazy old guy, he was awesome! Drove a windstar with spinners lmao.

@*#% if I'm going to use a DIY carpet cleaner. The problem with those things is:

THEY AREN'T PRACTICAL!

I used to own a bissel unit. The @#% thing had this little asinine tank for water that was good for 1/3 of a bedroom, perhaps.

Our buddy, his giant van machine plugged into a water hose and had a return line that dumped in the drain.

Why would you settle for less? All that *@#% around with a little piece of crap machine just isn't worth saving $20 to me.

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium Member
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day

ff1324 to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
I've had great luck using a Rug Doctor on our rugs....and we have a dog, a 3 year old, and a 4 year old.

Here's the trick...for the cleaning solution, we use HOT HOT HOT water with OxyClean mixed in. Our carpets come out looking new every time.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to fatmanskinny

MVM

to fatmanskinny

My solution for after that point? I ripped the carpets out and replaced them with hard wood

That's the best suggestion I've heard yet. Carpet is NAAAAASTY. It captures way too much icky stuff.
MrIcehouse
join:2006-02-07
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

MrIcehouse to walta

to walta
My wife uses a home carpet cleaner, spray the spots with 409 let it set a bit and go nice and slow, works every time.

We have light carpet that's about 5 years old, plus 3 cats a dog and a ferret, and 2 teenage girls with all their friends, carpet still looks like new.

Problem people have cleaning carpet is they bought cheap carpet.
10w30 vs 5w30 motor oil comcast expanded basic price ebay paypal pending payment flavours of unix operating system how much does a trash man get paid how to calculate subnet mask what should the torque be on lug nuts leaking furnace air conditioner terro ant bait traps average cost to rent a bobcat 331 area code zip code outlook 2010 gmail pop settings gran turismo license cheats what does burnt transmission fluid smell like att yahoo mail login comcast internet signal strength battery cannot be identified dell vtech dect 6.0 phone earthlink webmail sign up 1000 gallon propane tank cost roku cannot connect to local network walgreens cash back amounts cable modem power level time warner cable modem ubee how to change windstream wifi password comcast x1 box cost at&t prepaid sim card walmart comcast hd technology fee cablecard comcast net channel guide can i port my vonage number to google voice rt ac66u vpn server verizon prepaid gift card where is at&t u verse availability map verizon fios nfl network xfinity self install internet charter communications corporate headquarters how do you get netflix on verizon fios