astrabal service logo
All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
amc on demand time warner channel how do you pay for gas at costco what channel is tbs on regular cable how to charge a car audio capacitor direct tv compared to comcast arris wifi not working disposal of fluorescent tubes home depot telus tv show only subscribed channels password protect zip folder return time warner modem comedy central verizon fios twc human resources phone number verizon fios sports pass motorola surfboard sb6121 login cost of hotspot verizon sound blaster audigy 2 zs drivers how much oil does a lawn mower take reviews on att uverse at&t remote control replacement oil plug crush washer sump pump float height uverse guide not working how to repair mbr on external hard drive replace broadband with 4g how to reset vtech cordless phone time warner cable roadrunner verizon fios channel listing 06 dodge magnum recalls time warner converter box verizon fios wifi speed bell canada collections department
NeoVeo
join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON

NeoVeo

How good is Mastercraft Maximum mitre saw?

Hi All,
I am looking to buy a mitre saw, mostly to put up crown molding but also to fix my deck.
I was looking at a Ridgid and DeWalt both 10", non-sliding, single bevel; but then Canadian Tire went and put their Mastercraft Maximum 10" sliding, dual bevel mitre saw on sale and it is less than $100 more than the DeWalt (on sale at HD).

From what I've gather about CT their Job Mate line is disposable (use once and through it in the garbage - event their own people recommend avoiding this line), their regular Mastercraft line is comparable to Ryobi; but what about their Mastercraft Maximum line?

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of their Maximum line?

I welcome your thoughts.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Never heard of them until this post. From everything I read online, it appears they are a "junk" brand, much like Ryobi. Low cost and low quality.

They are made by the WMH Tool Group, which basically just imports junk from China.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to NeoVeo

Premium Member

to NeoVeo
Here's an informed thread from people how have bought such a brand saw:
»forum.canadianwoodworkin ··· tercraft

Not sure if it's the same saw that you're looking at.

IMHO, you get what you pay for, but if it's occasional work around the house, it probably will be ok. I'm very happy with my Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw, works perfect with the tall baseboards that are used in my house.

You should be aware that your local home depot has/had a deal on where you can buy their portable Rigid R4516 table saw, and get a rigid 10" mitre saw for free. Not sure if it's still on, but there are lots of kijiji ads that have popped up as a result selling off the "free" mitre saws locally. Also HD has a 20% off Dewalt and Makita sale this weekend supposedly.
NeoVeo
join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON

NeoVeo

said by ArthurS:

Here's an informed thread from people how have bought such a brand saw:
»forum.canadianwoodworkin ··· tercraft

Not sure if it's the same saw that you're looking at.

IMHO, you get what you pay for, but if it's occasional work around the house, it probably will be ok. I'm very happy with my Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw, works perfect with the tall baseboards that are used in my house.

You should be aware that your local home depot has/had a deal on where you can buy their portable Rigid R4516 table saw, and get a rigid 10" mitre saw for free. Not sure if it's still on, but there are lots of kijiji ads that have popped up as a result selling off the "free" mitre saws locally. Also HD has a 20% off Dewalt and Makita sale this weekend supposedly.

Thanks Arthur,
I think I will take a pass on the Crappy Tire Special.
I did see the deal at HD although I am wondering if I would be better off buying a Makita or DeWalt sliding dual bevel 10" mitre saw?

Anybody care to chime in on the Makita vs DeWalt 10" sliding dual bevel mitre saws?
The DeWalt is $40 more expensive.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by NeoVeo:

Anybody care to chime in on the Makita vs DeWalt 10" sliding dual bevel mitre saws?
The DeWalt is $40 more expensive.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one in this price range. Seems the Dewalt has a few features that the Makita doesn't have. I'd take a close look at both in the store to see if the $40 difference is worthwhile or not.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Silver Spring, MD
94.0 42.6
·blauworld
Cisco Meraki MX64
Cisco Meraki MR26
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

sk1939 to NeoVeo

Premium Member

to NeoVeo
Depending on what your cutting, I would look at a 12" saw if I was in the market for one. If your doing a lot of work with crown molding for example, the 10" might need multiple cuts to get through the material. Also, unless your getting real fancy you probably won't need the dual bevel function.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I have a 12" sliding compound dual bevel Makita that is great. The 10" saw that I had just wasn't convenient any more. As you mentioned, the 10" couldn't do crown and was also inconvenient for cutting tall base the way I needed.

OP: If you can spring for it and have the room, get the 12". You should look on Amazon for customer reviews. WRT 12" saws, I think the Bosch comes in first, then the Milwaukee, Makita, Ridgid and Dewalt.
amc on demand time warner channel how do you pay for gas at costco what channel is tbs on regular cable how to charge a car audio capacitor direct tv compared to comcast arris wifi not working disposal of fluorescent tubes home depot telus tv show only subscribed channels password protect zip folder return time warner modem comedy central verizon fios twc human resources phone number verizon fios sports pass motorola surfboard sb6121 login cost of hotspot verizon sound blaster audigy 2 zs drivers how much oil does a lawn mower take reviews on att uverse at&t remote control replacement oil plug crush washer sump pump float height uverse guide not working how to repair mbr on external hard drive replace broadband with 4g how to reset vtech cordless phone time warner cable roadrunner verizon fios channel listing 06 dodge magnum recalls time warner converter box verizon fios wifi speed bell canada collections department