astrabal service logo
All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
walmart return policy after 90 days fios ultimate hd channels can i watch my recorded uverse shows online max distance for cat6 time warner cable dns server address spray paint coverage calculator sears air conditioner installation windows 7 task scheduler history disabled does fedex smartpost deliver to your door castrol high mileage review verizon iphone 4s on at&t craftsman lawn mower cable optonline net sign in email kitchenaid ice maker troubleshooting manual propane prices in connecticut what is a passphrase for wireless router tremclad car paint job valvoline synthetic oil change u verse max upload speed tnt app time warner cable fresh meadows road test what channel is unimas on comcast fios offers for existing customers webmail triad rr com login how to port forward on arris disney channel on fios twc promotions for existing customers el rey time warner cable the cw on at&t lawn mower will not stay running engine oil smells like gas
Hbk5585
join:2013-03-04
West Hempstead, NY

Hbk5585

Is upgrading to Quantum from a Multi-Room DVR worth it?

So, I have the Multi-room free for life deal for 3 boxes + the DVR. I noticed that upgrading to Quantum gets rid of that promotion, but only adds $10 to my bill. I guess my question is, is it worth the $10 per month more. Besides being able to record more programs, what are some of the other benefits?

Thanks!
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

You can pause and rew live tv from the remotes.
Remote boxes are smaller.
Software is a bit green, but updates are rolling out.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
There really aren't any other benefits other than being able to pause/rewind live TV in other rooms on the IPC's.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
The area you're in will be getting a big update next week. It will be much more like what's on the legacy boxes. It won't have all the features yet but it's getting there.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to ansky

to ansky
I think being able to record up to 6 shows at once and a 1000gig hard drive is a benefit.
Also, recheck the deal, because if the free-for-life disappears, thats a $20/mo credit. Its a $10 increase for people who DO NOT have free for life.
Hbk5585
join:2013-03-04
West Hempstead, NY

Hbk5585

You know something, they are deceiving....according to their website, it would cost me 10 more a month....but on my bill, it costs me 43.96 - $20 multi-room credit. Online, it doesn't subtract the 20 bucks, it waives it. I'm not sure I'm making sense, but the reality is I am currently paying 23.96 for my multi-room dvr when they are telling me I am paying 43.96. So quantum is 53.96, I'd actually be paying $30 more per month. Wow, are they sneaky....GOOD CATCH!!!! Thanks!!!

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

$23.96 should be for 3 other TV's I think, $7.99 for each box. You have 4 total, right?
You can always try to call and see if they can give a credit in lieu of the free dvr, get it in writing, of course.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
Yes it is $22 for enhanced plus $7.99 per tv or $32 for premium plus $7.99 per tv.

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg to Hbk5585

Premium Member

to Hbk5585
For me it made sense to switch to Quantum. I had 2 multi-room DVR's, because my wife wanted pause/rewind in our bedroom STB, and because our kids' tv shows take up so much space, and both the wife unit and kids' crap shows always conflicted with my recording times.

Quantum pretty much solved all of those issues.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
As others have said you can pause and rewind live TV from the client boxes, even though they aren't DVRs.

And the client boxes are smaller. MUCH smaller - probably less than half the width, and much shorter too. Plus they don't make any noise.

You can initiate a recording from any of the boxes. And you don't have to figure out which DVR is available to record because there is one DVR with 6 tuners. With the old system:

1). I always had to figure out what was scheduled to record on each DVR because with 2 DVRs, you had 4 tuners total, but only 2 at each DVR, so if one was busy, you had to go to the other
2). One of the DVRs could have been getting full, so you'd have to use the other one

The system seems snappier to me.
Teddeli
join:2006-12-06
Merrick, NY

Teddeli to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
For me quantum is definitely worth the 6 recorded shows and the smaller boxes with clocks.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
·Verizon FiOS
·Frontier Communi..

tnsprin to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
NOte at least in most areas that is NOT the pricing. I posted the below many months ago. Note recently they were offering some specials including not charging the $22 a month for two years.

"Actually they changed it for all new orders, Quantum or not. You pay for the number of rooms and then for the DVR (room the DVR/VMS is in counts toward number of rooms).

DVR is $11
MRDVR is $12
VMS is $22 (up to 5 rooms)
TWO VMS is $32 (up to 10 rooms)

and each TV (all rooms counted including ones with DVR/VMS)
Equipment Package - 10 TVs $71.99
Equipment Package - 9 TVs $65.99
Equipment Package - 8 TVs $59.99
Equipment Package - 7 TVs $53.99
Equipment Package - 6 TVs $47.99
Equipment Package - 5 TVs $41.99
Equipment Package - 4 TVs $34.99
Equipment Package - 3 TVs $27.99
Equipment Package - 2 TVs $19.98
Equipment Package - 1 TV $11.99

Note its still possible that some areas of the country got different rates. "

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

He's in the NY metro area, so his rooms are $7.99 each.

Stankyest
@verizon.net

Stankyest to Teddeli

Anon

to Teddeli
said by Teddeli:

For me quantum is definitely worth the 6 recorded shows and the smaller boxes with clocks.

For you it might be worth it, but for those of us that have the MRDVR "free for life" discount it really isn't. I am currently paying $20/mo for the MRDVR service with 1 DVR and two HD boxes. In order for me to upgrade to Quantum, it would cost me $50/mo... which equates to a 150% increase in cost.

I would like to upgrade, but it's difficult to justify paying $30/mo more for something I think Verizon shouldn't be charging us additional money for... just because they changed the name to "Quantum", it's still an MRDVR, and from my perspective the MRDVR discount should still apply.

Personally, I'm going wait for a class action law suit and/or a comparable discount for Quantum.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

said by Stankyest :

but for those of us that have the MRDVR "free for life" discount it really isn't.

I didn't have that, but they may be able to do something for you because my bill ended up being about the same. Maybe that's because I had 2 DVRs with the MR option plus a 3rd HD box. I now have 1 DVR and 2 client boxes which operate as if I have 3 DVRs now. Anyway, if you speak with someone on the phone, maybe they'll cut you a deal.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to Stankyest

to Stankyest
said by Stankyest :

but for those of us that have the MRDVR "free for life" discount it really isn't

Sure it is.
MRDVR and Quantum are two totally different technologies.
MRDVR is a 2 tuner DVR. You can watch recorded content from it on other STBs.
Quantum is a 6 tuner VMS. Remotes are slaved to its tuners and provide additional functionality that STBs do not have (mainly ability to pause and rew live TV).
Somone will probably say you know that.
Can't say I feel sorry for the folks in NYC (the only ones to get free MRDVR) when they can't upgrade for free to Quantum.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to Stankyest

to Stankyest
said by Stankyest :

said by Teddeli:

For you it might be worth it, but for those of us that have the MRDVR "free for life" discount it really isn't. I am currently paying $20/mo for the MRDVR service with 1 DVR and two HD boxes. In order for me to upgrade to Quantum, it would cost me $50/mo... which equates to a 150% increase in cost.

I would like to upgrade, but it's difficult to justify paying $30/mo more for something I think Verizon shouldn't be charging us additional money for... just because they changed the name to "Quantum", it's still an MRDVR, and from my perspective the MRDVR discount should still apply.

Personally, I'm going wait for a class action law suit and/or a comparable discount for Quantum.

You just need to get the right customer service representative is all.

Tarheel72
join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX

Tarheel72 to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
It may or may not be a good deal for you. If you really want 6 tuners instead of 2 for recording then it might be worth it, but remember in two years you will be hit with the charge for Quantum. Of course at that time you can revert back to your old set up, but it will cost you more then it is costing now. I did this deal but I not only went from 4 tuners (I had a MRDVR + a DVR) to 6 but I did it to lock in my price of services for two years and get free HBO for two years. That may or may not be important to you.

Beyond the cost of service and the number of tuners I don't think anything else is a big deal (size of box, pause/rewind) but you may feel different. And the SW is not as good, even after the update. Quantum is still in beta testing if you ask me. Just my opinion.
Teddeli
join:2006-12-06
Merrick, NY

Teddeli to Stankyest

to Stankyest
Actually for two years I will not be paying anything for three boxes because of a promotional offer for existing customers.My internet speed was increased to 75/75all for about $1 more than I was paying for the MRDVR and two HD boxes. One with no clock which was annoying.
Verizon also began to charge me $5.99 for the free for life digital adaptor but with a little persistence I was able to get it for free again. Took about four billing cycles until I found the right CR who knew what to do. They refunded the charge each month and gave me a few other credits for my trouble.
MisterEd
join:2002-11-04
VHO 7

MisterEd to Hbk5585

to Hbk5585
I originally had three DVR's (MR) total of 6 tuners & 1.5GIG storage (or more if I needed via external HD). Now I have Quantum with 1 DVR and 2 mini-boxes with the same 6 tuners and only 1GIG storage. Also I now have one single point of failure meaning if my ONE DVR goes down I have no TV. Previously if one of the 3 DVR's went down I'd have 2 more I could watch.

I really had no choice, I had to switch to save $50+ a month. If I had an option I'd have kept the MR DVR setup but I saved a lot of money (and got more programming and faster internet) by switching. Quantum software is also a bit buggy.

All MHO.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

quote:
Also I now have one single point of failure meaning if my ONE DVR goes down I have no TV.
Untrue
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

said by ITALIAN926:

quote:
Also I now have one single point of failure meaning if my ONE DVR goes down I have no TV.
Untrue

Correct.

As I remember: IF ones VMS goes, then IF they have IPC client boxes, they revert to streaming channels. Similar, or the same as the FiOS Mobile App.

So whatever you are subscribed to, you can get via IPC boxes (like you can with that app), IF one's VMS goes.
MisterEd
VHO 7

MisterEd

said by webcobbler:

As I remember: IF ones VMS goes, then IF they have IPC client boxes, they revert to streaming channels. Similar, or the same as the FiOS Mobile App.

So whatever you are subscribed to, you can get via IPC boxes (like you can with that app), IF one's VMS goes.

Wait ... you say you get what you get from the mobile app? IIRC from using the mobile app once or twice it's pretty much useless programming. But anyway, I guess it's not "nothing." Never wudda thunk you'd even get that.

Interesting, I'll have to unplug my VMS and see what I can get without it.

Thanks for actually explaining how it should work.

Anyway, still think multiple DVR's are better then 1 VMS & multiple minis. You get ALL of your programming and still be able to record if one should go down.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

.. and it may not EVER go down. Might want to have a nice surge protector on the DVR, as a little insurance.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to MisterEd

to MisterEd
No Problem, MisterEd
webcobbler

webcobbler to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Yes. I agree.

I have a couple Battery Backups for the FiOS equipment.

One for the ONT, another for the Router. And then more powerful ones for my Entertainment Area with the STB, AVR, TV etc. Then one final one in another room with the other STB, and my computer etc.

IT has definitely helped out in sudden Power outages, that lasted a few seconds, to ones that have lasted 30 + minutes. So I can safely turn off everything.
MisterEd
VHO 7

MisterEd to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

.. and it may not EVER go down. Might want to have a nice surge protector on the DVR, as a little insurance.

Wellllllll .... 2 of my original 3 DVRs needed to be replaced (plus a router) over the previous 2 years with Fios. EVERYTHING I have in all my rooms are on surge protected UPS's. So "might not" in my personal experience is more like MIGHT. YMMV of course.

Stankyest
@verizon.net

Stankyest to crgauth

Anon

to crgauth
said by crgauth:

said by Stankyest :

but for those of us that have the MRDVR "free for life" discount it really isn't

Sure it is.
MRDVR and Quantum are two totally different technologies.
MRDVR is a 2 tuner DVR. You can watch recorded content from it on other STBs.
Quantum is a 6 tuner VMS. Remotes are slaved to its tuners and provide additional functionality that STBs do not have (mainly ability to pause and rew live TV).
Somone will probably say you know that.
Can't say I feel sorry for the folks in NYC (the only ones to get free MRDVR) when they can't upgrade for free to Quantum.

For starters, I'm in VH08, so people in NYC are not the only ones to get the free MRDVR for life deal. Secondly, MRDVR is an abbreviation for Multi-Room DVR, which is still basically what VMS provides. Yes, you get additional tuners and the ability to rewind from slaves, etc, but the Quantum VMS DVR unit is still what I would consider a Multi-Room DVR.

You obviously don't have the MRDVR discount and are trying to justify paying 150% more than I am, but I think Vz should be ashamed of themselves for trying to charging existing customers that much of an increase, just because they rebranded their MRDVR device.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

People like you should get a $20 DVR credit-for-life, in order to upgrade to a VMS system. Verizon still gets their $10 Enhanced, or $20 Premium Service increase. Otherwise, people will not ever upgrade.
Those of you that are thinking that youre privy to an apples to apples replacement, are just as wrong as Verizon.
MisterEd
VHO 7

MisterEd to webcobbler

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

said by ITALIAN926:

quote:
Untrue

Correct.

Well, I disconnected the server to see what I would get on the IPC boxes and all I got was a message saying "you have been disconnected from server and we will try to connect for the next 3 minutes." After the 3 minutes was up (with a countdown clock) the next message said "Call Tech Support." Messages are paraphrased.

I then plugged the server back in and the message wouldn't go away until I rebooted the IPC which makes sense.

This is on the newest IMG I just got last night.
walmart return policy after 90 days fios ultimate hd channels can i watch my recorded uverse shows online max distance for cat6 time warner cable dns server address spray paint coverage calculator sears air conditioner installation windows 7 task scheduler history disabled does fedex smartpost deliver to your door castrol high mileage review verizon iphone 4s on at&t craftsman lawn mower cable optonline net sign in email kitchenaid ice maker troubleshooting manual propane prices in connecticut what is a passphrase for wireless router tremclad car paint job valvoline synthetic oil change u verse max upload speed tnt app time warner cable fresh meadows road test what channel is unimas on comcast fios offers for existing customers webmail triad rr com login how to port forward on arris disney channel on fios twc promotions for existing customers el rey time warner cable the cw on at&t lawn mower will not stay running engine oil smells like gas