astrabal service logo
All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lifetime channel for comcast long distance texting charges oatey air admittance valve att block caller id swann security system installation att uverse dvr not working bbc america hd comcast ez pass ny monthly fee zoomtown com email settings fram oil filters review 9v 2a power adapter directv 2 year contract does directv require a dish iphone 3gs problems and solutions plastic j tech flange 768 kbps is how many mbps chase atm check deposit availability free twc username and password walmart riding mower battery 2007 honda accord lx aux input d link di 524 password ryobi 18v lithium battery not charging pc richard and son tv toll free telus number repair leaking solder joint copper pipe forgot bellsouth email password how to fix oil leak from head gasket led pot lights flickering what channel is disney channel on fios water heater won t drain bright house networks internet speed test at&t retention phone number fox sports 1 bright house

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Any Santa Fe owners here?

My 2007 civic will be 9 years old next Summer but only has 88,000KM on it. I also took good care of it, so it's good for another 50,000KM at least. Miss TL's old POS is due for the junk yard so she will inherit the civic and I intend to upgrade to a SUV.

My needs have changed. The business is taking me on the road all year (and often off the beaten path) now, I need for more cargo space, family is growing and the Quebec roads can be challenging in winter.

Been shopping for a little while and was debating the Forester or Santa Fe. My final decision will occur next spring after more road tests but I would like to hear from Santa Fe owners about your experience with the vehicle, how it handles in winter especially and whether you have had any problems or issues you think I should be aware of before purchasing. I have already exchanged with many Forester owners on another forum.

I'm looking at the 2.4L AWD luxury trim since I am a HUGE sucker for panoramic sunroofs and I want a beige interior, which is the cheapest trim it comes with.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

A friend of mine bought the Santa Fe Sport 2.4L FWD in the summer. It's a very nice car, he didn't get the fancy model because he was on a budget, but he's very happy with it so far.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

AsherN to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I'm on my second Tucson and have also owned a couple of Sonatas. I've always been very happy with the products. Hyundai/Kia are producing some top quality products.
shannonville
join:2015-03-19

2 recommendations

shannonville to TigerLord

to TigerLord
I am.

We bought a 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0LT Limited in May of 2014. She's got ~35K on her right now. Only have had to do the regular scheduled maintenance on her. We have a set of Winters and rims ( which I haven't put on yet this year), and other than that she has been flawless so far.

The wife loves the rear camera ( because she has trouble physically turning around when backing up ) and the heated seats and steering wheel are very nice in the winter.

My biggest complaint I have with her so far is I have a 16Gg flash drive that we use for tunes, and I don't like the algorithm on the shuffle for the MP3 player, it repeats some sequences too often sometimes. But since it's only a thumb button on the steering wheel to skip a song..... we've learned to live with it.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

1 recommendation

FaxCap to TigerLord

to TigerLord
A buddy bought a Santa Fe a couple of years ago and told me it's the best vehicle he's ever owned.

Then a friend's daughter just bought a used 2015 Tucson....mid model range...with 19,880km on it for $21,000.
The guy bought it at the dealership but realized 8 months later he should have bought the Santa Fe. He traded it in
for a Santa Fe and this young lady benefited from his loss. She LOVES her Tucson!

FaxCap

dirtyjeffer
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
i've driven one, but didn't really like the way it drove...i'm sure for most "regular" people, it is fine, but it didn't seem to ride as good as it looks...it's a decent vehicle, no doubt, but i personally wouldn't get one...the Forester certainly lacks "toys" in comparison, but in terms of ride quality, fuel economy, and AWD system, it is far superior in every way...they don't give them away though, so you need to weigh that part as well.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Mike2009 to TigerLord

to TigerLord
My inlaws have a Santa Fe Sport. Theirs is loaded, leather, all wheel drive etc. They love it but they've only had it for the last four months so I have no idea how it will be reliability wise.

dirtyjeffer
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer

Premium Member

reliability wise, they should be fine...pretty much everything is decent nowadays, although Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep products always seem to occupy the basement in the reports.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to TigerLord

to TigerLord
brother had a santa fe. they had a lot of trouble with leaky seals, and ended up getting rid of it after just under a year

that would probably have been a 2010 or 2011? something like that model year

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Sister has a loaded one and I drove a Tucson for a bit this summer, I don't care for the Hyundai steering. There are plenty of similar vehicles like the highlander or pilot you shouldn't cross off the list. I wouldn't get a 4 cylinder either in case you ever want to tow something.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

The Highlander and Pilot will be more - sometime significantly more - money too.

Friend of mine has a 2007 Santa Fe and other than replacing the transmission in 2011, he has no real complaints about it (it's got over 300,000 km on it).
GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to TigerLord

to TigerLord
I don't have one, but 3 of the 5 people in my carpool have santa fe's (07-12 gen)
They all love them. One person with at 07 did have to get a new engine but they had ignored scheduled maintenance and the timing chain was way overdue, and it snapped.

We looked at getting a used one about 20 months ago but needed a 7 seater so got a ford freestyle.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

1 recommendation

Hydraglass to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I've got a 2016 Sorento - I had a '14 Forester for a year and just traded it in May - I chose it over a Crosstrek XV for the additional space. I barely put 40,000 km on it before I dumped it. It was BLOODY uncomfortable. The seats were like sitting on a park bench. Hard, and slid all over. No goodies really even though it was a mid/high level trim model (Touring). The dash and infotainment system felt like they were from 2010. The '16 Sorento (SX) has everything and feels ultra-modern, like driving a European sports SUV - very comparable to a X5 or ML... heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, backup camera, panoramic sunroof, 19" alloy wheels, 3rd row seating, 5000 pound towing capacity, all wheel drive with locking diff, 120VAC inverter outlet, LED fog lights, the list goes on... It's positioned directly between the Santa Fe Sport and the Santa Fe XL - it's got the 3rd row like the XL, but it's not quite as big overall... it is a chunk bigger than the Sport. More expensive as well ($46,000 MSRP). The interior, gadgets, etc are very similar between both. Power train is the same. I've put 30,000km on it since May - other than scheduled oil changes it's been flawless since I drove it off the lot. Love the 3.3L GDI V6 - Gobs of torque and power - 0-100km/hr in under 8 seconds with almost 300hp - and still manage consistently about 8L/100 on the highway at 115km/hr.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to TigerLord

to TigerLord
from what i hear people say it is a reliable car.. I know one person with a 2.0T and they love it. Good body, good built. Should be a reliable car. 5 year warranty as well
hosedagain3
join:2008-02-18
Canada

hosedagain3 to Hydraglass

to Hydraglass
Do you plan on installing winter tires? With 19" rims you will need to go to 18" tires and steel rims. I was looking at a 2016 Tucson the turbos all had 19" standard. Putting winters would be costly, I would think.

Hydraglass
Premium Member

Hydraglass

Premium Member

Bought 18" (235 60 r18) Bridgestone blizzak ws80 with winter rims from pmc tire online for just right around $1k all in.

dirtyjeffer
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
yea, the new Sorentos are really nice, but they do get up there in price when check all the boxes...they've certainly come a long way though...i read a comparison review online recently and they picked it over the Land Rover (this was done over in Europe)...i thought it was odd to compare a Kia Sorento and a Land Rover Discovery, but it seems badge snobbiness doesn't exist over there to the extent it does over here.
dirtyjeffer

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

I've got a 2016 Sorento - I had a '14 Forester for a year and just traded it in May - I chose it over a Crosstrek XV for the additional space. I barely put 40,000 km on it before I dumped it. It was BLOODY uncomfortable. The seats were like sitting on a park bench. Hard, and slid all over. No goodies really even though it was a mid/high level trim model (Touring). The dash and infotainment system felt like they were from 2010. The '16 Sorento (SX) has everything and feels ultra-modern, like driving a European sports SUV - very comparable to a X5 or ML... heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, backup camera, panoramic sunroof, 19" alloy wheels, 3rd row seating, 5000 pound towing capacity, all wheel drive with locking diff, 120VAC inverter outlet, LED fog lights, the list goes on... It's positioned directly between the Santa Fe Sport and the Santa Fe XL - it's got the 3rd row like the XL, but it's not quite as big overall... it is a chunk bigger than the Sport. More expensive as well ($46,000 MSRP). The interior, gadgets, etc are very similar between both. Power train is the same. I've put 30,000km on it since May - other than scheduled oil changes it's been flawless since I drove it off the lot. Love the 3.3L GDI V6 - Gobs of torque and power - 0-100km/hr in under 8 seconds with almost 300hp - and still manage consistently about 8L/100 on the highway at 115km/hr.

we just took an LX+ model for a test drive...we'd buy the EX model for the extra features, but they only had an LX+ and an SX in stock to try...i wasn't overly impressed with the 2015 Santa Fe when we drove it about a year ago, so i wasn't sure i'd like the new Sorento, but all the reviews were quite positive so i wanted to see how it was.

what a great vehicle...the ride was luxury car smooth (seriously, it's that good), the doors close with a solid thump, it's packed with features (the LX+ is very well equipped for what is a lower trim model)...i can now understand why it just won AJAC SUV/CUV of the year for the $35k-$50k price bracket, beating out the likes of BWM, Lexus, Ford and Honda (the new Honda Pilot was what many expected to win)...this all new Sorento really is THAT good.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

The Sorento wasn't on my list but it looks really good and has the panoramic sunroof as well.

I'll add it on my list of test drives.

Hydraglass
Premium Member

1 edit

1 recommendation

Hydraglass to dirtyjeffer

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

what a great vehicle...the ride was luxury car smooth (seriously, it's that good), the doors close with a solid thump, it's packed with features (the LX+ is very well equipped for what is a lower trim model)...i can now understand why it just won AJAC SUV/CUV of the year for the $35k-$50k price bracket, beating out the likes of BWM, Lexus, Ford and Honda (the new Honda Pilot was what many expected to win)...this all new Sorento really is THAT good.

I absolutely love mine - I bought it in the SX+ with the snow white pearl metallic finish. I've had people ask if it was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a BMW, and an Audi in the 6 months I've had it. I was cross shopping the Grand Cherokee Limited, the MDX, the Mercedes GLK, the Explorer Sport, the new Pilot Touring, the Sorento SX+, and the Highlander Limited. All of them had me priced between $46k - $54k. I drove them all, looked at the warranty coverage, the "out the door price", the look, the feel, the fit, the finish, the "gadget factor", etc... The Highlander Limited was the only other close competition - essentially the same price and felt great as well.

As for the others: The MDX had the premium fuel dilemma and I would have had to go to the $60K model for navigation, the Cherokee worried me on reliability (and the whole remote telematic hack thing), the GLK was too small (And the GLE and GLC were way out of my budget - $80kish), the Explorer Sport was too expensive for what you got - $52k+ for a Ford with mediocre interior, the Pilot only had 3500lb touring and the 9 speed transmission felt like it was always shifting (to be expected with 9 ratios I guess? I noticed it on the MDX too) and I didn't like the seat comfort... anyway... I only took the highlander and sorento for second drives and the long warranty, giant sun roof and the relatively good comparative fuel economy sold me on the Sorento (and I've had good previous experience with the dealership as well).

I've been able to manage about 7.8L/100 with it on the highway for my daily drives - I'm getting about 775km/tank with 60L fillups (I do drive gently - 110km/hr with the cruise set 99% of the time) -- but to get under 8L/100 with an almost 300HP V6 in a midsize SUV? I'm very happy.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

Been looking at reviews and documentation on it since dirtyjeffer posted about it.

Very impressed by all the inclusions for the price.

dirtyjeffer
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

Been looking at reviews and documentation on it since dirtyjeffer posted about it.

Very impressed by all the inclusions for the price.

as impressed as i was by the reviews, wait until you drive it...it seriously punches above its class...i realize in the upper trims it isn't cheap (the top SX models in the 40s), but like Hydraglass said, it really holds its own against the premium Japanese and German ones, many of which are a LOT more money...in the latest JD Power & Assoc. reliability report, Kia finished in 2nd place, right behind Porsche...the bottom was occupied by Dodge, Chrysler and Fiat (all 3 are part of the Fiat Chrysler Group), so Hydraglass was likely smart on passing on the Grand Cherokee (it is also very nice, but i also don't trust it long term)...i think Hydra's is the V6 model, but i drove and would buy (for my needs) the turbo 4...Hydra puts on tons of kms and if you want to tow, you should (need?) go with the V6...it's only $1100 more anyway, and also gets you the 7 seat configuration (i have no need for 7 seats, nor towing, so the turbo 4 would be plenty).

TigerLord

Canada

1 edit

TigerLord

Panoramic sunroof is locked behind the EX+ and up though which is only available with a V6.

The APA price is $37,288 before tax for the EX+ 3.3L V6 AWD 7 Seater, about 2000$ more than the Sante Fe AWD 2.4L Luxury trim I was eyeing which is $35,240.

But the EX+ has a lot more stuff packed into the cockpit compared to the Santa Fe not to mention a lot more power.

I'll take one for a drive.

8L/100km for a SUV is pretty insane.

dirtyjeffer
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer

Premium Member

if there's only $2k difference between the 2.4L Luxury Santa Fe and the EX V6 Sorento, that really is a no brainer...i drove a Santa Fe last year and wasn't impressed at all...this new Sorento is a completely different vehicle...seriously, drive them back to back...not only will the V6 engine be a substantial upgrade in terms of refinement and power, you do get a lot of really nice features in the Sorento...but the ride should likely seal the deal...my wife said it drove better than her father's Cadillac SRX (which was $56k)...i remember when i read that it was a finalist in the AJAC category recently, as good as it was, i didn't honestly think it had much of a chance against the Honda, BMW and Lexus...but when i read it won, i was like "really???!?!?"...after driving it, i get it...they nailed it.
63141160 (banned)
join:2015-10-30

63141160 (banned)

Nice car. I too would get the 4 cylinder if its $2000 less. Yes for sure a no brainer With the current price of gas too.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20
·Start.ca
·Bell Fibe Internet

Thane_Bitter to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

8L/100km for a SUV is pretty insane.

I agree, its a very good number for a vehicle that size, its similar to a subcompact like a civic or accent.

dirtyjeffer
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer to 63141160

Premium Member

to 63141160
said by 63141160:

Nice car. I too would get the 4 cylinder if its $2000 less. Yes for sure a no brainer With the current price of gas too.

i wouldn't get the 2.4L base engine (which is only on lower trims)...the 2L turbo engine actually has more torque than the V6 though, and it also comes on very early in the RPM range (peak torque starts at 1450 RPM), so everyday driving is quite good with it...but if you regularly load up the vehicle and/or want to tow, get the V6...you'll only save fuel with the 2L Turbo if you aren't giving it the beans all the time...drive it with a heavy foot, and it will drink just as much fuel (if not more) than the V6 model.
bobnoxe
join:2015-03-30
fiji

bobnoxe to 63141160

to 63141160
The 4cyl will be too underpowered for any kind of towing or even carrying a full load of people.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

I agree, its a very good number for a vehicle that size, its similar to a subcompact like a civic or accent.

Err my Accent gets just under 6L/100km, and a lifetime gas card from Hyundai for ~$200 bucks a year since they admitted to fudging the rating of 5.3L/100km.

Not knocking the economy of the Santa Fe, very low for that frame.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to bobnoxe

to bobnoxe
Many cars & suv's that are produced with 4cylinders and especially the turbo 4's from Ford are vastly underpowered for the vehicles they are going in. You either lose fuel efficiency with a motor that small in an suv due to the higher rpm's just to keep it moving (and lose reliability due to having a hotter motor), or larger transmissions are used with higher gearing to keep the rpm's low, but you lose towing weight and even pay load.

My gf's parent just traded-in their 2011 4cyl fusion and the occupancy weight of the car was a max of 8 or 900 lbs. Seems quite high, but for the couple times a year you actually use all 4 or 5 seats, 5 x 200 lbs adults puts you over that. For a family, probably not an issue with kids, but a 200 lb adult male isn't exactly over weight any more, and judging by the size of people i see walking down the road or driving every day, 200 lbs is probably on the light side for the average male now a days, and women are probably approaching that.
lifetime channel for comcast long distance texting charges oatey air admittance valve att block caller id swann security system installation att uverse dvr not working bbc america hd comcast ez pass ny monthly fee zoomtown com email settings fram oil filters review 9v 2a power adapter directv 2 year contract does directv require a dish iphone 3gs problems and solutions plastic j tech flange 768 kbps is how many mbps chase atm check deposit availability free twc username and password walmart riding mower battery 2007 honda accord lx aux input d link di 524 password ryobi 18v lithium battery not charging pc richard and son tv toll free telus number repair leaking solder joint copper pipe forgot bellsouth email password how to fix oil leak from head gasket led pot lights flickering what channel is disney channel on fios water heater won t drain bright house networks internet speed test at&t retention phone number fox sports 1 bright house