astrabal service logo
All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
centurylink internet light red porting to t mobile syfy channel on verizon fios lawn mower cable repair optiplex 7010 triple monitor dog barking high frequency sound closest dns server to me comcast nba league pass cost dell inspiron recovery disk super glue high temperature what gauge wire for 20 amp breaker what causes corrosion on battery sofa through door calculator internet speed test brighthouse how to find e zpass account number does a diesel pump fit in a petrol car where is a 267 area code how to wire a phone jack for dsl 2wire 2701hg b ip address mul t lock deadbolt removal centurylink 20 mbps modem repair washing machine seal costco natural gas generator toyota corolla 2005 oil change u verse dvr not working mail in rebate great fun is brake and clutch fluid the same chave key cs 1.6 door with pet door already installed trane condenser fan motor cost kohls credit card online payment center att uverse tv receiver warrior or paladin tank
chad0404
join:2005-10-04
Pittsburgh, PA

chad0404

Aftermarket blind spot warning system

I recent bought a 2007 car with low mileage but it has none of the modern safety features. I found a place nearby that can install an aftermarket blind spot warning system but they have to drill into the bumper and do a lot of labor. The owner of the company said he would recommend simply attaching small blind spot mirrors to my side view mirrors. He said my money would be better spend on a rear view camera. I would appreciate any recommendations as to what aftermarket safety features are a good investment.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 recommendations

Anonymous_

Premium Member

the best investment one could make in in a dash camera
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

4 recommendations

Dodge to chad0404

Premium Member

to chad0404
said by chad0404:

I recent bought a 2007 car with low mileage but it has none of the modern safety features.
I would appreciate any recommendations as to what aftermarket safety features are a good investment.

What kind of a car determines what upgrades it may benefit from. For example, if the car has limited rear view (think pickup truck, or something with a high trunk like old Dodge Intrepid used to have), backup camera is probably a worthy investment. If the mirrors are tiny / shitty (think a lot of GM cars with triangular mirrors), then additional mirror or blindspot monitoring system may be helpful. If it's a giant pickup truck, then just raise it 4", put push-bars, and a bumper sticker that says "guns don't kill people, I do", and everyone will give you a wide berth on the road negating the need for safety equipment:)

Anonf0bf7
@optonline.net

13 recommendations

Anonf0bf7 to chad0404

Anon

to chad0404
A driving class that teaches you how to drive with out needing the car to do it for you.

Anon16786
@inashealthcare.org

7 recommendations

Anon16786 to chad0404

Anon

to chad0404
Turn your neck...there's your built in backup camera.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl

said by Anon16786 :

I've only recently driven a car with a backup cam. I'm still not convinced it's a substitute for turning and looking and knowing your vehicle, but it does show you all the things you can't see by craning your neck around like the bumper of the car behind you. The fancier setups have the on-screen guidelines that curve as you're turning the steering wheel to back into a spot.

If you have a radio that can display a camera, you can pickup the cameras really cheap on eBay. I actually just got one off eBay for 55-cents, shipped.

My current vehicle has big rear blind spots and the spot mirrors really help, but I still turn and look before changing lanes. It also has huge blind spots up front due to really big front pillars. You can hide an oncoming semi in those, so you learn to look back and forth twice before pulling out at an intersection.
bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ
30.3 6.3

1 edit

2 recommendations

bmilone2 to chad0404

to chad0404
I can tell you that a backup camera is truly beneficial with certain vehicles. My Ram 1500 crew cab falls into on of those "certain vehicles" As an example, I was in Pittsburgh over last weekend and where I parked in the Hotel parking garage was made more convenient to back into the space. The backup camera allowed me to park within a few inches from the concrete wall behind me. Although I do agree that turning your neck and actually scanning behind you should still be done.

I find it funny in many of the car commercials now it show how the vehicle can warn the driver if they stray out of their lane or brake for them in someone walks in front of them. in many cases I think many owners that have all the bells and whistles are actually worse drivers because they don't worry about not paying attention since the car will take care of dangerous situations.
chad0404
Pittsburgh, PA

chad0404 to lawsoncl

to lawsoncl
Thank you for a thoughtful and informative reply. Some posters here might be wise to consider the old adage "It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to say something and remove all doubt."
chad0404

chad0404 to bmilone2

to bmilone2
Thank you for that information. I live in Pittsburgh and am just curious if you were here for the Stanley Cup finals game.
bmilone2
Mays Landing, NJ
30.3 6.3

bmilone2

said by chad0404:

Thank you for that information. I live in Pittsburgh and am just curious if you were here for the Stanley Cup finals game.

I was actually there to go to my niece's High School Graduation. My brother in laws house is just over 3 miles from the Paint Arena and I stayed at the Cambria Hotel which is actually right next to the Arena.

The wife and I drove back to the Hotel about 10 minutes after the Penguins won the game. It was actually fun watching all the crazy fans running the streets and all the car horns. Even the engineer of the train that runs past the arena was laying on his horn.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
88.5 0.8
·Time Warner Cable

CylonRed to Anonymous_

MVM

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

the best investment one could make in in a dash camera

It does not do the same thing as a blind spot warning...
CylonRed

CylonRed to lawsoncl

MVM

to lawsoncl
said by lawsoncl:

I've only recently driven a car with a backup cam. I'm still not convinced it's a substitute for turning and looking and knowing your vehicle, but it does show you all the things you can't see by craning your neck around like the bumper of the car behind you. The fancier setups have the on-screen guidelines that curve as you're turning the steering wheel to back into a spot.

The van we have has the camera view on the rear view mirror. Makes it easy to include the screen when scanning the mirrors and turning your head. It is VERY nice in the dark and at times I wish my 2001 BMW had a rear view camera on dark days.

Had blind spot warning system on a T&C van when driving to Wyoming from Ohio and found that after 4 days - I never saw the lights on the mirror. I had to make sure traffic was in the way first, t hen had to stare at the mirror to catch the system working. Since I turned my head and looked over my shoulder I did not have time to check the blind spot indicator. Even after I knew what the indicator looked like - I still never noticed it. Found it to be useless.
chad0404
Pittsburgh, PA

chad0404

Ok as much as I am enjoying all the information posted so far I have made my decision and the car is now in the shop. I decided to get the backup sonar warning which beeps when the car gets close to an obstacle or a pedestrian walks behind the car. I also went with the blind spot monitoring system. The backup camera was very tempting but because of the problems installing it in my particular car the cost was prohibitive. The owner of the shop says it will be ready early tomorrow morning.
bmilone2
Mays Landing, NJ
30.3 6.3

bmilone2

said by chad0404:

I decided to get the backup sonar warning which beeps when the car gets close to an obstacle or a pedestrian walks behind the car. I also went with the blind spot monitoring system.

Hope everything goes well. Let us know what you think of the new options once you have time to test them out.

Anonf0bf7
@optonline.net

4 recommendations

Anonf0bf7

Anon

sonar? This thing is a sub?
lawsoncl
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl

said by Anonf0bf7 :

The sensors use ultrasonic frequencies to detect the distance, so yes it would be sonar. Just like the tape measures that measure distance with a sensor, and you old Kodak instant cameras that focused. Sonar doesn't mean it has to be a submarine or even frequencies within the human hearing range.

OldCableGuy
join:2014-12-19

2 recommendations

OldCableGuy to chad0404

to chad0404
Wow funny that someone would want to add that new age garbage to their car, and here I am scouring the net trying to find late model cars WITHOUT that crap. No onstar, no backup cam, no ULTRASONIC (LOL @ Sonar) backup system

I do always run with a dash cam though, saved my bacon more times than I can count.

Hiker
Zeus
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Lebanon, NJ
195.2 12.1
·Comcast XFINITY

Hiker

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy:

Wow funny that someone would want to add that new age garbage to their car, and here I am scouring the net trying to find late model cars WITHOUT that crap. No onstar, no backup cam, no ULTRASONIC (LOL @ Sonar) backup system

I do always run with a dash cam though, saved my bacon more times than I can count.

So, you like some of the modern crap. Where do you stand on manual window cranks and air conditioning?
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG to Anon16786

Premium Member

to Anon16786
said by Anon16786 :

Some people, particularly older folks, those with disabilities, or those with previous neck injuries may be unable to do so or it may be painful or extremely uncomfortable.

I'd rather those people have the techno-gadgets to help them make safer lane changes etc.

Not saying this is necessarily the case for the OP (maybe he just wants the extra peace of mind?), but just pointing out that there are valid reasons someone may want to retrofit a car with such a system.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy:

Pull the fuses, or rip out the wiring harnesses, problem solved. A lot of these features are now mandated to be included by law, so good luck with your search.
said by OldCableGuy:

How? Please explain how a dash cam is a preventative measure for anything?

Anonf0bf7
@optonline.net

1 recommendation

Anonf0bf7 to lawsoncl

Anon

to lawsoncl
said by lawsoncl:

said by Anonf0bf7 :

The sensors use ultrasonic frequencies to detect the distance, so yes it would be sonar. Just like the tape measures that measure distance with a sensor, and you old Kodak instant cameras that focused. Sonar doesn't mean it has to be a submarine or even frequencies within the human hearing range.

"sonar" a system for the detection of objects under water and for measuring the water's depth by emitting sound pulses and detecting or measuring their return after being reflected.

"radar" a system for detecting the presence, direction, distance, and speed of aircraft, ships, and other objects, by sending out pulses of high-frequency electromagnetic waves that are reflected off the object back to the source.

Legit please link me a sonar system for a car, would be interested to see where it says sonar and look into why they are calling it sonar and not radar.

"Both radar and sonar locate objects from the echo of a signal that is bounced off the object. Radar uses radio waves, which are a type of electromagnetic energy. Sonar uses the echo principle by sending out sound waves underwater or through the human body to locate objects."

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
88.5 0.8
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

CylonRed to TheMG

MVM

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Some people, particularly older folks, those with disabilities, or those with previous neck injuries may be unable to do so or it may be painful or extremely uncomfortable.

Correct - should injuries as well and with an aging population more relevant.
CylonRed

1 recommendation

CylonRed to Dodge

MVM

to Dodge
Out of the ones mentioned - the only one mandated is the rear camera and it is really worthwhile imho.

Anon60ea9
@commspeed.net

Anon60ea9 to Anonf0bf7

Anon

to Anonf0bf7
The technology you are looking for is lidar. Google/Wickipedia it.
lawsoncl
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to Anonf0bf7

to Anonf0bf7

Try the Merriam Webster definition:
- a method or device for detecting and locating objects especially underwater by means of sound waves sent out to be reflected by the objects

Radar would be radio waves and Lidar would be light waves. Does any of this matter? It's just being pedantic and not helping the original question at all.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

actually light waves are a electromagnetic exactly the same as radio waves light ≠ radio..

You can use light (Laser) or RF to detect objects and the speed/distance
YES you could use sonar but there is too much noise (interference )to get a good SNR on land..

go back to shcool (yeah on purpose) because you got it wrong

you are so SMRT. I mean smart

sound can't pass though a vacuum like radio/light can

ALSO sonar can be used on land as well WATER IS NOT REQUIRED..
BLIND people use it all the time! but they have better sensitivity aka better SNR to detect objects using sound
chad0404
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

chad0404

Maybe I can put an end to the discussion of my use of the word "sonar." My itemized bill shows they installed an "AutoSonar Backup Warning System" so I guess the company that manufactured it is named AutoSonar. When the installer said he was putting in a sonar system I now think he was simply abbreviating the full name of the manufacturer. I apologize for any confusion my use of that word may have caused. It seems to work extremely well so far as does the blind spot warning system.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20
·Start.ca
·Bell Fibe Internet

Thane_Bitter to chad0404

Premium Member

to chad0404
Have you tried adjusting the mirrors this way? LINK: »caranddriver.com/fea ··· nd-spots

It takes a bit of getting use to but its a great improvement over the old way of just setting the side mirrors to show the edge of the vehicle. However its not going to help you back into parking spots, most cars today have such a high end a RV camera is a must.

OldCableGuy
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy to Dodge

to Dodge
It prevents degenerates from being able to sue me. Had a kid playing chicken in the street that I hit about 6 months ago (they had a habit of lying in the street to stop cars) and my dash cam completely vindicated me.
Dodge
Premium Member

Dodge

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy:

It prevents degenerates from being able to sue me. Had a kid playing chicken in the street that I hit about 6 months ago (they had a habit of lying in the street to stop cars) and my dash cam completely vindicated me.

But did it prevent you from hitting the kid? No, so not a preventative device, which is what OP was asking about.
centurylink internet light red porting to t mobile syfy channel on verizon fios lawn mower cable repair optiplex 7010 triple monitor dog barking high frequency sound closest dns server to me comcast nba league pass cost dell inspiron recovery disk super glue high temperature what gauge wire for 20 amp breaker what causes corrosion on battery sofa through door calculator internet speed test brighthouse how to find e zpass account number does a diesel pump fit in a petrol car where is a 267 area code how to wire a phone jack for dsl 2wire 2701hg b ip address mul t lock deadbolt removal centurylink 20 mbps modem repair washing machine seal costco natural gas generator toyota corolla 2005 oil change u verse dvr not working mail in rebate great fun is brake and clutch fluid the same chave key cs 1.6 door with pet door already installed trane condenser fan motor cost kohls credit card online payment center att uverse tv receiver warrior or paladin tank