astrabal service logo
Search similar:

uniqs
view:
normal
fedex ground vs fedex express saver how to wire fluorescent ballast rt ac66u vpn server centurylink loyalty department number epp for federal employees calling voicemail on iphone latency and jitter difference shockwave crashing in chrome tpms valve stem leaking animal planet verizon channel accidentally put brake fluid in power steering u haul mileage rate how to forward messages on iphone 5s att uverse additional receiver wireless access point seamless roaming espn3 on verizon fios tv u verse nfl sunday ticket unlimited data 4g hotspot hawaiian telcom internet prices telus mobility telephone number customer service lg front load washer drain pump u verse video on demand epp for federal employees what states sell everclear 190 proof can a diesel nozzle fit in a gas tank what is dbi in wireless antenna air handler leaking water bottom bell reverse lookup phone number centurylink fiber optic review cox business class internet bein sport verizon fios time warner cable return modem google voice sip address open xlsx file with excel 2003 residential gateway function rogers

xymox1
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ
365.0 38.2
·Cox HSI
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

DOCSIS 3.1

Click for full size
OOOoOOoOoo.... My Arris SB8200 downstream light has turned blue. OFDM is IN THE HOUSE !!!!

I now see a "other" modulation channel.

So.. When do we get to see gigabit ? Im READY.. hahaha...
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

Also im confuzed. I have 32 QAM256 channels listed. So.. What am I getting my bits from ? OFDM or QAM or what ?

Is it official ? Has Cox made the switch in phx to DOCSIS 3.1 ?

Im still at my Ultimate Tier of 300/30.. Will this go up ? New tier planned ?

Im excited. I want my giglife.
DarthIT
join:2015-08-12
United State
·Charter

DarthIT

said by xymox1:

Also im confuzed. I have 32 QAM256 channels listed. So.. What am I getting my bits from ? OFDM or QAM or what ?

From what was explained to me. You will see low spectrum in the 200mhz being used.

Log into your modem and check. is everything 800mhz and up????? if so then its still normal 3.0

:} OFDM does not mean newer speeds it just means your area is ready for that flip of switch.

Luke_
Its all in your head
join:2015-08-27
Tempe, AZ
·Cox HSI

Luke_ to xymox1

to xymox1
On the gigabit plan, your modem will primary use the ofdm carrier but will still stay locked on to the SC-QAMs as kinda a back up.

The ofdm carrier is a beast with the new LDPC forward error correction so it will take a lot to make the ofdm carrier unusable to the point it has to fall back on the SC-QAMs.
Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

Needleinthha

Still no blue light here in chandler...
did you have to reboot? or it just automatically did it?
DarthIT
join:2015-08-12
United State
·Charter

DarthIT

said by Needleinthha:

Still no blue light here in chandler...
did you have to reboot? or it just automatically did it?

It should do it automatically
kirkcarp9
join:2005-07-01
Tucson, AZ

kirkcarp9 to xymox1

to xymox1
Blue light now also showing on my SB8200 here in Tucson.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
365.0 38.2
·Cox HSI
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1 to DarthIT

Premium Member

to DarthIT
said by DarthIT:

said by xymox1:

From what was explained to me. You will see low spectrum in the 200mhz being used.

Log into your modem and check. is everything 800mhz and up????? if so then its still normal 3.0

:} OFDM does not mean newer speeds it just means your area is ready for that flip of switch.

There is a OFDM block centered at 300 Mhz that looks 96 mhz wide.
said by Luke_:

On the gigabit plan, your modem will primary use the ofdm carrier but will still stay locked on to the SC-QAMs as kinda a back up.

The ofdm carrier is a beast with the new LDPC forward error correction so it will take a lot to make the ofdm carrier unusable to the point it has to fall back on the SC-QAMs.

This is where im confuzed. Is there a Cablelabs document describing this ? SOmeplace I can read up on this behavior ?

So my bits are passing thru the OFDM now ?
Garion
join:2017-06-29
Laveen, AZ

Garion to xymox1

to xymox1
Click for full size
We had an extended outage here in Laveen today (51st Ave/Southern) and now I have an ODFM carrier on my MB8600. Any idea as to when we might be seeing an additional option to go faster than Ultimate in this case?

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

xymox1

Premium Member

We want gigabit ! We want gigebit ! We want gigabit !
Garion
join:2017-06-29
Laveen, AZ

Garion

I more looking for the expanded data cap. Gigablast costs about the same as ultimate but has twice the data cap.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to xymox1

Premium Member

to xymox1
Lots of bandwidth there... 48 D3.0 and 1 D3.1. Glad they have that bandwidth cap to keep things clear.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

xymox1

Premium Member

Im still confuzed how they are splicing together std QAM256 and OFDM in one bitstream. I cant find this in the standard. Does anyone have a Cablelabs link or some technical document describing this std ?
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

You know the scary part is that Cox will, no doubt, roll out this service to std consumers via Intel Puma based gateways. Phoenix is about to be flooded with Intel Pumas with still no fix for the DDoS in place. »theregister.co.uk/20 ··· em_woes/ Remember "panoramic wifi" = Puma. I dont know of a DOCSIS 3.1 wifi gateway based on Broadcom. I dont know of a telephone EMTA DOCSIS 3.1 based on Broadcom. So a huge number of unknowing consumers are about to be downgraded in basic performance while speedtesting at higher speeds. The list of effected devices »badmodems.com/Forum/app. ··· admodems The details of the issue »badmodems.com/

So with DOCSIS 3.1 in Phoenix and Tucson will come Intel riding like a trojan horse into a huge number of homes.

So. Anyone wanting to go DOCSIS 3.1 and gigabit needs to buy a Braodcom based modem and a separate wifi router. If you want telephone service tell the cable co you are providing your own modem and they will supply the eMTA for telephone service.
Shadowdane
join:2000-11-02
Fairfax, VA

Shadowdane to xymox1

to xymox1
Wow Cox needs to get it together here in NoVA. We are still stuck on 16/4 channels here with DS 3.0. Honestly surprised they haven't even attempted to compete as Verizon FIOS & Comcast are both in this area. Both Verizon & Comcast offer Gigabit packages around here.. Granted Comcast actually offers 2Gbps for insane price but still.

It always seems that NoVA is behind the rest of the country for Cox's network.. :\

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

xymox1

Premium Member

I do want to make clear tho. Cox has no choice and must use Intel Puma based devices as there are no Broadcom based DOCSIS 3.1 gateways/emtas. There might be a firmware update coming, but, so far nothing.

Franken
join:2016-02-26

Franken to xymox1

to xymox1
said by xymox1:

Im still confuzed how they are splicing together std QAM256 and OFDM in one bitstream. I cant find this in the standard. Does anyone have a Cablelabs link or some technical document describing this std ?

It's covered in the bonding section. The bond is logical, so the physical form doesn't matter.

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
365.0 38.2
·Cox HSI
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

Sorry for asking, but do you have a link where I can read this ? The QAM256 is very different in things like error correction and I would think timing, so it seems weird to me to just use a OFDM 96 Mhz wide block as a "bonded channel". Are the packets even spread over the QAM and OFDM ? or is the OFDM the base and the QAM used as backup or used of the OFDM is exceeded ?

Its just that QAM and OFDM are so different it seems odd to group them into one group. I would think the latency of the worst of the 2 would be what you would end up with if the packets were spread across evenly. So a pure OFDM would outperform a QAM+OFDM arrangement ?

I will go try and locate the stds your describing. A link would be helpful as those standards are huge and painful to locate specifics in.
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

Its in here I guess starting on page 281.. »community.cablelabs.com/ ··· 7748fe4f
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

Interesting. The cable co can assign service flows to QAM or OFDM or any division of all that on the fly depending on the needs of the flow. The entire 8.2 section of the above document is interesting readying. Its incredibly more flexible then D 3.0. So my question "are my packets going thru OFDM" has a interesting answer. That depends on what those packets need and what the cable co decides to do with them.

So I have answered my own question. YES im on DOCSIS 3.1. The blue LED means my packets are being assigned to different modulation methods based on what the cable co wants to do with them.
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

My question on timings between the 2 modulations is covered in section 8.2.3.1 on page 288. Indeed your latency is determined by the worst channel in the group as the re-sequenced packet is delayed to form the stream. BUT. Each flow can be assigned in a multi-profile setup like Cox is operating, so the stream could be assigned to just the OFDM channel to achieve a low latency stream.

I would guess that how Cox decides to set up flows is top secret.

With new FCC rules its possible to say give Netflix a better/worse flow assignment. Or certain games a better latency flow based on if the gaming company paid the cable co for that better connection.

Interesting.
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA
·Verizon FiOS

compuguy to Shadowdane

to Shadowdane
said by Shadowdane:

Wow Cox needs to get it together here in NoVA. We are still stuck on 16/4 channels here with DS 3.0. Honestly surprised they haven't even attempted to compete as Verizon FIOS & Comcast are both in this area. Both Verizon & Comcast offer Gigabit packages around here.. Granted Comcast actually offers 2Gbps for insane price but still.

It always seems that NoVA is behind the rest of the country for Cox's network.. :\

I haven't been on cox in many years (NoVA as well). That's pretty sad then...

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

xymox1

Premium Member

Removed my own post. Was incorrect
xymox1

1 edit

xymox1

Premium Member

Removed own post.
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

Removed post.
xymox1

xymox1

Premium Member

OK I have tested using every tool I know. I see ZERO issues with DOCSIS 3.1. I have been concerned we might gain latency or something odd, but ive confirmed things are perfect. My connection looks about the same as before. I think there might be a small decrease in latency and jitter. Ive done a bunch of tests using Pingplotter doing ICMP, TCP and UDP. Ive used iPerf and done benchmarks like DNS benchmark. I have done extensive testing prior to the DOCSIS 3.1 switchover so i have extensive results to compare to. My results seem virtually the same. This is great news. I think it means when they switch on gigabit we will retain the low latency we have now. As latency is more important for most people vs speed ( bandwidth ) this means we get the best of both.

AWESOME....

**NOTE** this is only true if you use a Broadcom based device. If you switch modems/gateways when you go to gigabit to a Intel based device you will have SIGNIFICANTLY higher latency, latency spikes every 2 seconds, higher jitter and some security issues like a 0-day DoS.

Luke_
Its all in your head
Tempe, AZ

Luke_

Your bits arnt going through the ofdm carrier yet as far as I know. It's just there and your modem is just locked to it. I assume when gig plan is available is when you will start to utilize the ofdm for your traffic

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

xymox1

Premium Member

That would explain why the tests looked pretty much exactly the same. Hahahahaha...

Well... I WANT MY OFDM ! Hit me with giglife ! I cant wait. Its exciting..

D 3.1 is a huge leap forward in so many ways, not just bandwidth.

Luke_
Its all in your head
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

Luke_

Actually I take it back I may be wrong. Will edit when i find out correct answer

Edit: I was wrong my bad. It is utilizing the OFDM carrier for traffic

xymox1
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ
365.0 38.2
·Cox HSI
ARRIS SB8200
MikroTik CCR1036-8G-2S+

xymox1

Premium Member

said by Luke_:

Actually I take it back I may be wrong. Will edit when i find out correct answer

OMG the drama.. First im happy, then you throw water on my excitement, then your not sure.. The drama !

It has me wanting to understand what exactly that blue LED means ! It would be good to see in the status pages someplace some config info on DOCSIS 3.1 status.
fedex ground vs fedex express saver how to wire fluorescent ballast rt ac66u vpn server centurylink loyalty department number epp for federal employees calling voicemail on iphone latency and jitter difference shockwave crashing in chrome tpms valve stem leaking animal planet verizon channel accidentally put brake fluid in power steering u haul mileage rate how to forward messages on iphone 5s att uverse additional receiver wireless access point seamless roaming espn3 on verizon fios tv u verse nfl sunday ticket unlimited data 4g hotspot hawaiian telcom internet prices telus mobility telephone number customer service lg front load washer drain pump u verse video on demand epp for federal employees what states sell everclear 190 proof can a diesel nozzle fit in a gas tank what is dbi in wireless antenna air handler leaking water bottom bell reverse lookup phone number centurylink fiber optic review cox business class internet bein sport verizon fios time warner cable return modem google voice sip address open xlsx file with excel 2003 residential gateway function rogers