astrabal service logo
Search similar:

uniqs
view:
normal
att uverse coverage area map att router default password comcast abc hd channel what channel is espnu on comcast septic safe laundry detergent are energizer lithium batteries rechargeable xfinity constant guard review liter to gallon gas price conversion configure airport express windows rechargeable lithium aaa batteries what causes water pressure to drop in one faucet comedy central verizon channel time warner channels nyc speedometer internet speed check what does dta mean comcast cable box activation download older versions of aol toyota corolla 2000 catalytic converter change my wifi password verizon 2005 honda odyssey transmission fluid change secure home heath zenith maytag neptune washer dryer stackable ebay unpaid item case does comcast block port 25 dodge caravan power steering pump abc family verizon fios at&t microcell not working what is a ledger balance how to configure wan network whirlpool whole house water filtration system review axs tv verizon fios how thick concrete for patio how to leave a voicemail without calling at&t

Anon966e7
@comcast.net

Anon966e7

Anon

[Equip] Recommendations for a replacement modem/voice?

I have Internet, TV, and Voice service right now from Comcast, so unfortuantely my options for a modem are a bit more limited since I have voice service. Right now I have a Cisco DPC3941T... and I hate it.

First of all, I am not happy that it's also a router and wifi gateway, I have my own, and really don't like having this extra mess that I have little control over. The rep who gave it to me said that they had no plain modem/voice devices anymore. Furthermore, it seems to be ignoring my settings now.

As I said, I have my own router, so I have no need for the modem's built-in features. I went in and disabled all the WiFi hardware, went into my account and disabled the hotspot service, and even set the modem into bridge mode. This USED to work.... but not anymore. Now, the WiFi lights stay on and blinking even though it claims the WiFi is "off". I looked this up, and apparently the official answer is that this is a "bug" in the firmware and that they really are off... but that appears to be a lie, since it's now causing interferance with nearby audio equiptment when it didn't before. The interferance goes away if I move it further away or unplug it, and it used to be right next to the equiptment without causing interference before, back when the WiFi lights actually stayed off. Furthermore, some people have reported that it beroadcasts hidden 2.4ghz channels anyway.... and now, it's not even bothering to lie to me about it, it's even saying in it's status that the 2.4ghz band is active, even though I turned it off.

At the time, the tech who forced me to replace my own voice/modem with this gateway said I had no option but to rent from them due to the voice service, claiming that due to 911 restrictions I can't buy my own, I don't know if he was lying or not, but I recently noticed that Comast has an official page that lists "compatible" devices you can use iof you were to buy your own.

So, that's what I want to do. I am also guessing that Cisco DPC3941T they gave me is likely the lowest in terms of quality as well?

These are the ones Comcast claims would be "compatible" with my service:
»i.imgur.com/bsCiHIA.jpg

Can anyone give me any recommendations on which ones to get? I know that obivously Comcast will still have some control as they will have to push their configuration to it for my service, but will they still be able to override my WiFi settings and force it on like they are doing now? Are any of these which do NOT offer router/WiFi features (what I would prefer) any good or better than my current modem?
jadziedzic
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Nashua, NH

jadziedzic

Premium Member

The TM822 (R or G) are the best options if you want to avoid a gateway device, as long as your speed plan is 200MB or less. You certainly can buy your own TM822 - the tech was "misinformed" to put it politely. You can buy the Comcast-branded TM822R from Amazon.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
join:2011-10-16
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05 to Anon966e7

Premium Member

to Anon966e7
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (24x8) DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi Cable Modem Router For XFINITY Internet & Voice (C7100V)

»amazon.com/NETGEAR-N ··· +gateway
gtb
join:2016-05-16
Sunnyvale, CA

gtb

said by srtdodge05:

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (24x8) DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi Cable Modem Router

Friends do not let friends buy combo devices.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
join:2011-10-16
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

If you want the voice option not much choice. Otherwise I tell everyone to avoid combo units.
gtb
Sunnyvale, CA

gtb

said by srtdodge05:

If you want the voice option not much choice.

Well, you do have some choice. You can choose to have two modems (one used just for voice (usually a lower performant (and cheaper) device), and a different one for data). Comcast has allowed that for voice customers, although you may find some pushback from some CSRs, and it does mean two devices rather than one.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad to srtdodge05

MVM

to srtdodge05
said by srtdodge05:

If you want the voice option not much choice. Otherwise I tell everyone to avoid combo units.

It would be nice if Comcast approved the ARRIS TM3402 D3.1 eMTA (Voice Modem): »arris.com/products/t ··· 02-emta/

Cox has approved it for use on their system: »cox.com/residential/ ··· 402.html

The only issue is that it uses an Intel Puma 7 chipset.*

*-EDIT: Actually, some initial tests of the Puma 7 / TM3402 just performed by xymox1 appears to indicate that the Puma 7, with current firmware, performs much better than the Puma 6: »SB6190 Puma6 TCP/UDP Network Latency Issue Discussion

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to Anon966e7

MVM

to Anon966e7
The Netgear CM500V is a voice modem without a built-in router, IOW, not a gateway, and is/will be available for retail purchase. It shows up as an approved device on the Comcast site, but it may not be available yet. DOCSIS 3.0, 16x4. I believe the list price will be$119. I would expect the price on Amazon to be less. My guess is $99, but who knows... Be sure to specify a CM500V, not a CM500. BTW, it does not have a battery backup.

Almighty1
Premium Member
join:2003-05-14
San Francisco, CA

Almighty1 to gtb

Premium Member

to gtb
Good point, I noticed with Comcast Business, even though they provide the Cisco DPC3941, they do not use the built-in voice modem but instead a separate Arris unit so in a way, it's stand-alone modem for the Internet service, stand-alone modem for the voice service and router for the internet service. Does the speed capability of the voice modem really matter since I thought that was only important for the Internet side of it and not for voice.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to owlyn

MVM

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

The Netgear CM500V is a voice modem without a built-in router. ...

Yes, the first non-ARRIS eMTA I've seen: »mydeviceinfo.g.comcast.n ··· evid=629
said by owlyn:

... BTW, it does not have a battery backup.

If you want it to still operate during power outages, then you could plug it into one of these small and inexpensive APC UPS units:

BGE70 »amazon.com/APC-Back- ··· KH07WRC/

BGE90M »amazon.com/APC-Back- ··· NTQYUA8/
sd70mac
Premium Member
join:2015-10-18
Woodstock, IL

sd70mac to Almighty1

Premium Member

to Almighty1
The number of bonded channels only matters for users that only want a single EMTA modem for voice and internet.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to gtb

Premium Member

to gtb
said by gtb:

said by srtdodge05:

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (24x8) DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi Cable Modem Router

Friends do not let friends buy combo devices.

Ditto.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Almighty1

Premium Member

to Almighty1
said by Almighty1:

Does the speed capability of the voice modem really matter since I thought that was only important for the Internet side of it and not for voice.

Well not greatly but think of what would happen if all of it's channels were saturated, in such case it's better for it to have more channels to use.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by owlyn:

The Netgear CM500V is a voice modem without a built-in router. ...

said by owlyn:

... BTW, it does not have a battery backup.

If you want it to still operate during power outages, then you could plug it into one of these small and inexpensive APC UPS units:

BGE70 »amazon.com/APC-Back- ··· KH07WRC/

BGE90M »amazon.com/APC-Back- ··· NTQYUA8/

Or be like me and use one of these.

»amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1

Ok honestly I got two of them back when I was running my HP DL580 G5 and my Cisco network, ATM I have one plugged in and running my Ubiquiti network and showing less than 1% load.

Paula
Premium Member
join:2000-10-12
Grand Rapids, MI

Paula to Anon966e7

Premium Member

to Anon966e7
I bought an Arris TM722G/CT for the exact reasons you mention. I have had no problems at all and I'm not helping Comcast extend their hot spots.

I got it at Amazon

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to owlyn

MVM

to owlyn
Click for full size
said by owlyn:

The Netgear CM500V is a voice modem without a built-in router, IOW, not a gateway, and is/will be available for retail purchase. It shows up as an approved device on the Comcast site, but it may not be available yet. DOCSIS 3.0, 16x4. I believe the list price will be $119. I would expect the price on Amazon to be less. My guess is $99, but who knows... Be sure to specify a CM500V, not a CM500. BTW, it does not have a battery backup.

Found it on Amazon - Shows that it will be released this Friday (October 27th) and priced at $129.99: »amazon.com/dp/B075XGZ6GL

Here is the info page on it: »netgear.com/home/pro ··· 00V.aspx

And the (preliminary) data sheet: »downloads.netgear.co ··· 500V.pdf

I'm currently using an ARRIS TM822G 8x4 eMTA that I purchased almost 4 years ago. I use it for both HSI and voice, and as my Blast! tier speeds have been upgraded to 200/10 (240/12 as overprovisioned), it's hitting the max DS capability and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 16x4 CM500V now.

Hopefully it uses the same Broadcom BCM33843 chipset as the CM500 and has user access to the downstream spectrum analyzer feature: »[Equip] How to use the Broadcom chipset spectrum analyzer

Barmat
Uhmmm Floor Pie
join:2000-11-01
Livermore, CA

Barmat

In your opinion will upgrading to this from my max blast speed of 175/11 be that much of an uprgade. I'm using the TM822G as well.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Barmat:

said by telcodad:

I'm currently using an ARRIS TM822G 8x4 eMTA that I purchased almost 4 years ago. I use it for both HSI and voice, and as my Blast! tier speeds have been upgraded to 200/10 (240/12 as overprovisioned), it's hitting the max DS capability and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 16x4 CM500V now.

In your opinion will upgrading to this, from my max blast speed of 175/11, be that much of an upgrade. I'm using the TM822G as well.

Well, "Blast! Pro" in the western markets shows as only being 150/10 Mbps (180/12 Mbps as provisioned): »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?

So you won't get that much more than 175 as a max, but if you're on a congested node and see reduced speeds during the evening "primetime," then having 16 downstream channels may help at those times.

Barmat
Uhmmm Floor Pie
join:2000-11-01
Livermore, CA

Barmat

I think I'll dive in as well. At least I will be saving the equipment rental in a year. The newest tech can't hurt anyway.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by owlyn:

The Netgear CM500V is a voice modem without a built-in router...BTW, it does not have a battery backup.

WOW, never expected to see this happen - an eMTA-only that Comcast has actually approved to use, & BEFORE it's even released to the public! And, since it's a non-ARRIS model, subs that activate these on Comcast should never get into pissing contests re: ownership of their eMTA's...since I highly doubt Comcast will ever lease these out.
Battery backup would have been nice, but considering all the benefits of this unit, no big loss there.

Thx much for posting this info!

Anon05307
@2601:246.x

Anon05307 to telcodad

Anon

to telcodad
Thanks for the link! I was in the market for a modem and saw the CM500V referenced on Comcast's website yesterday but couldn't find it anywhere. Was going to purchase the ARRIS SVG2482AC until I came across your post.
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

dplantz to dishrich

to dishrich
That is a great price. I am going to get one to replace my Mothers rented EMTA. I can add an inexpensive UPS to replace the battery backup.
Lucifer
join:2015-07-01
Tracy, CA
ARRIS TG3482
Asus RT-AC68
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

Lucifer to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by Barmat:

said by telcodad:

In your opinion will upgrading to this, from my max blast speed of 175/11, be that much of an upgrade. I'm using the TM822G as well.

Well, "Blast! Pro" in the western markets shows as only being 150/10 Mbps (180/12 Mbps as provisioned): »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?

So you won't get that much more than 175 as a max, but if you're on a congested node and see reduced speeds during the evening "primetime," then having 16 downstream channels may help at those times.

Blast Pro over here is 200/10, and has been for over a year. I had to give up my TM822 then because it was bottlenecking at the faster speed tier.
gtb
Sunnyvale, CA

1 edit

gtb to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

... Found it on Amazon

FWIW, for those that absolutely need it now, I was walking past my local Best Buy and decided to walk in(*). They had a couple of 500V's on the shelf (as it is not advertised (yet?) you likely also have to walk in to spot it on the shelf). As always, your Best Buy stock will vary.

(*) I decided to take a look at the Pixel 2 XL's screen. It was SO badly burned in from the sales demo that it was embarrassing. No way to pretend it was not visible. Looks like it is all over but the refunds for that LG screen.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Lucifer

MVM

to Lucifer
said by Lucifer:

said by telcodad:

Blast Pro over here is 200/10, and has been for over a year. I had to give up my TM822 then because it was bottlenecking at the faster speed tier.

OK thanks, I see I may have misinterpreted that table in that FAQ then.
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn to gtb

to gtb
That is exactly what I have from Comcast. I have my own data modem, provided by me. Comcast provided the voice modem. Having two modems on my account allows me a 2TB data allotment each month.
Cyber Akuma1
join:2002-11-19

Cyber Akuma1

Wait, what? A 2TB limit? Do they still charge you the same amount for just the voice modem as they would a voice and data modem? Is this just an oversight on their part or did they tell you you would get 1TB per modem?
raythompsontn
Oliver Springs, TN

2 edits

raythompsontn

They charge me $10 a month for the voice modem, same as a voice and data mode because the voice modem will also do data. I just choose to have my own data modem. I had the data modem before I got voice and I continue to use the modem. Because I have two modems on the account my limit is 2TB a month for data. No mistake. At least on my part. Comcast may not realize what they have done and it may be an error on their part. I am not going to tell.

However, I may be purchasing the modem indicated in this post to save the $10.00 a month, remove my current data modem, and go back to just one modem. 1TB a month serves my needs. My primary reason for renting the voice modem was I had no choice when I got the service. Times are changing. There is a comfort level in renting as Comcast owns the entire problem if there are issues. No pissing contest with Comcast saying it is my modem, which happened in the past.

But times are changing and it is probably time to reconsider. For basically a years worth of renting I will now own the device and after one year will be saving money.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by raythompsontn:

They charge me $10 a month for the voice modem, ...

However, I may be purchasing the modem indicated in this post to save the $10.00 a month, remove my current data modem, and go back to just one modem. ...

But times are changing and it is probably time to reconsider. For basically a years worth of renting I will now own the device and after one year will be saving money.

And it looks like the modem/eMTA/gateway rental fee will be going up to $11/month soon: »[Price] Modem rental fee increasing to $11 now
raythompsontn
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn

Greedy on Comcast's part. Over the years I have rented I have paid for the device multiple times. Now Comcast seems to think I should be giving them more money. Used to be $10.00 was a comfortable point to avoid the pissing contest if there were problems with Comcast claiming it was my device that was bad. Now it is time to rethink that and go out on my own. Even I have to replace the device once a year it will be cheaper.
att uverse coverage area map att router default password comcast abc hd channel what channel is espnu on comcast septic safe laundry detergent are energizer lithium batteries rechargeable xfinity constant guard review liter to gallon gas price conversion configure airport express windows rechargeable lithium aaa batteries what causes water pressure to drop in one faucet comedy central verizon channel time warner channels nyc speedometer internet speed check what does dta mean comcast cable box activation download older versions of aol toyota corolla 2000 catalytic converter change my wifi password verizon 2005 honda odyssey transmission fluid change secure home heath zenith maytag neptune washer dryer stackable ebay unpaid item case does comcast block port 25 dodge caravan power steering pump abc family verizon fios at&t microcell not working what is a ledger balance how to configure wan network whirlpool whole house water filtration system review axs tv verizon fios how thick concrete for patio how to leave a voicemail without calling at&t