astrabal service logo
Search similar:

uniqs
water heater anode replacement ohio turnpike ez pass verizon fios nbc sports channel abc family channel on verizon fios 2006 honda civic enter code how to bridge verizon router comcast in wilmington ma free norton antivirus from comcast xfinity epix on demand time warner att uverse voice mail broadband reports speed test turn off router firewall twc epix on demand time warner cable dns servers rheem ac fan motor time warner cable remote not working troubleshooting direct tv no signal comcastbiz net email login toilet making hissing noise century link compatible modems att uverse internet sucks best teksavvy cable modem unable to save permission changes windows 7 drain valve washing machine usps sorry we missed you what channel is axs tv on verizon fuel tv comcast channel subway whole wheat bread ingredients ups surepost lost package login to rogers modem how to replace a windowsill tracking number starting with rr

Red Hazard
Premium Member
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard

Premium Member

[HSI] Yearly Price Increase?

I saw one post that indicated the $65/mo for internet only will be going to $70/mo next year. Has this been verified?

Anon6adf8
@rr.com

Anon6adf8

Anon

said by Red Hazard:

I saw one post that indicated the $65/mo for internet only will be going to $70/mo next year. Has this been verified?

Didn't see that, but prices go up every year, so it shouldn't surprise anyone.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Columbus, OH

brad152 to Red Hazard

to Red Hazard
I think $70 may be a bit of a stretch for just internet $60-65 is all it's really worth, especially considering you do not get that much speed with it anyway

Red Hazard
Premium Member
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard

Premium Member

Well the past 2 increases were each $5.
brad152
Columbus, OH

brad152

Oh i know, but $70 for internet only is a total rip, and they know it

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT
68.0 5.6

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by brad152:

You think they care? What other HSI options do you have in your area? Here is is 5 mb DSL.
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz to brad152

to brad152
With TWC I was paying $110 for 50/5 internet only.

$70 for 60/5 doesn't sound so crazy by comparison
bdginmo
join:2017-09-24
Saint Charles, MO

bdginmo to Red Hazard

to Red Hazard
The download speed of 100 mbps here in the St. Louis market isn't too bad. However, there's no way our measly 5 mbps upload can justify $70/month. If it were symmetrical 100/100 then yeah I'd say $70/month is justified.

Red Hazard
Premium Member
O Fallon, IL
·Charter
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

Red Hazard

Premium Member

Yeah I am in the same boat. When Charter went to 4 bonded channels vice a single channel ~6 months ago, I thought they would increase the upload but it's still an abysmal 5 Mbps. It irks me when I see other areas with 10 or 20 Mbps upload from Charter. Maybe they'll increase upload to assuage feelings during the next price increase.
brad152
Columbus, OH

brad152 to ptrowski

to ptrowski
I have 100/20 DSL for $60 (1TB Cap), or 500/50 for $69 (No Cap) from the other cable company

100/10 is $39.99 from the other company
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH

adam1991 to brad152

to brad152
said by brad152:

I think $70 may be a bit of a stretch for just internet $60-65 is all it's really worth, especially considering you do not get that much speed with it anyway

ummm...dude, you're in Columbus. Have they even bothered to move that up to 100/10 yet for that price?

$40 is the going rate for that kind of a product. If you're internet only and in Columbus, I have no idea why you'd pay more than $40 for a fungible like broadband.
adam1991

adam1991 to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

said by brad152:

You think they care? What other HSI options do you have in your area? Here is is 5 mb DSL.

Brad has alternatives: 100/10 for $40, and 500/50 for $70.

Not sure why he'd put up with lesser service for more.
Nucleartx
join:2016-09-08
Belton, TX
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T Business

Nucleartx

said by Anon3e716 :

said by Anon6adf8 :

said by Red Hazard:

Didn't see that, but prices go up every year, so it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Internet prices haven't. In fact sometimes they dropped. I'm paying $55 a month for internet bundled that includes a modem. 6 years ago I was paying $65; $58 for internet and $7 for the modem. and the speed was 18/3.

That price decrease was before helicopter tied his huge paycheck to stock price. The stock price will not increase with cord cutting and other tv services available.

IMO, $5 increase to internet and $5-$10 modem lease fee. That modem lease fee alone could bring in $50 million extra a month. It's hard for a CEO to pass up that bank. Now if the lease fee happens, I'll buy a sb8200/cm1000 as I'm in an L-TWC market.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT
68.0 5.6

ptrowski to adam1991

Premium Member

to adam1991
said by adam1991:

said by ptrowski:

said by brad152:

Agreed, I was thinking the same thing.
njt462
join:2006-11-28
Troy, MO
134.7 5.2

njt462 to Red Hazard

to Red Hazard
I could see this happening since they are getting ready to do test markets of Docsis 3.1 1gig.

The one friendly tech in my neighborhood said that St Louis should be a test market that is why upload has not been upped yet.

I asked about upload and he said could be 1gig over 100,300,500, or 1000 he doesn't know for sure but shouldn't be less than 100 he said.

Take it for what its worth. Ill believe it when I see it I told him.
brad152
Columbus, OH
355.1 30.2
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

brad152 to adam1991

to adam1991
said by adam1991:

said by ptrowski:

said by brad152:

Honestly, it's because i'll end up paying $50 to Boingo for airport wifi access, it's included in the TWC/Spectrum

Also, the WHDVR on Wide Open West does not allow me to go past 100/10 anyway as it requires me to use THEIR shitty box for the WiFi, and when i add everything on, i'm at the same price i pay Spectrum for everything (I'm at $192 for cable/internet/phone with gold and Whole Home DVR)

On WOW, with no 2-year contract, it's $154 for cable/internet/phone and 1 movie channel.. spend $30-40 adding the channels on, and the fact I have to use their DVR as the WiFi/Cable Modem.. no thanks, then I have to add Boingo as a separate line item.

And U-Verse TV... let's not get me started on that garbage.

If I were internet only, then yes WOW is a great choice.. but having to use a cable box from 2003 is not an option for me.

As of now, we just have an at&t 100/20 line, and the Spectrum 120/10.. put together with a load balancing router.

We just needed more than 10Mbps upstream, and this has worked well so far. and I just transferred my soon to expire in 4mos u-verse contract from Chicago as we ended up on Comcast there (they offered 150/20 for $55/mo for a year)
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
·AT&T FTTP

kherr to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

What other HSI options do you have in your area?

AT&T Fiber 1G/1G for $70/month/life

Went live here first part of May.
Disconnected TV in April. -- OTA/Sling

BYE BYE Charter

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to brad152

to brad152
I'm not a shill: 70 for 10 up 100 down isn't a horrible value. People pay that for 3 meg Frontier or VZ DSL. Is it more than I want to pay? Sure... But it not terrible.
Eagles1221

Eagles1221 to brad152

to brad152
Spectrum includes Boingo? Since when? I can get on Cablewifi and TWCwifi but Boingo wants me to pay. F#ck Chicago and Newark for not giving free 2meg wifi like EVERY OTHER aiport
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH

adam1991 to kherr

to kherr
"for life" is absolutely and utterly meaningless.
brad152
Columbus, OH
355.1 30.2
·AT&T U-Verse

brad152 to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221
said by Eagles1221:

Spectrum includes Boingo? Since when? I can get on Cablewifi and TWCwifi but Boingo wants me to pay. F#ck Chicago and Newark for not giving free 2meg wifi like EVERY OTHER aiport

If you have a L-Time Warner Cable login, select login on the Boingo screen, in the dropdown it will have an option for "Time Warner Cable" then login with it.

Time Warner Cable made the agreement 3-4yrs ago, and I've been using it ever since.

And if you have TWC WiFi Finder installed on your phone (in iOS you have to install the "profile") it will auto log you into "Passpoint Secure" on your iPad/iPhone.

Android i've learned it's a crapshoot if the autologin works but it always seems to work on Samsung and Pixel devices.
said by Eagles1221:

I'm not a shill: 70 for 10 up 100 down isn't a horrible value. People pay that for 3 meg Frontier or VZ DSL. Is it more than I want to pay? Sure... But it not terrible.

Considering gig can be had for that price.. it's awful. $50 tops for 100/10
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to adam1991

Premium Member

to adam1991
... better than 6 months with Charter.... i don't intend to live long ....
deefop
join:2016-05-05
Boulder, CO
11.5 19.1

deefop to brad152

to brad152
No, it can't.

This is one of the more annoying economic mistakes people make when talking about this.

Granted the telecom market is extremely distorted because the government has been kindly providing MSO's with monopoly protection for quite a few decades.

HOWEVER, just because someone in a city 1000 miles away from you can get gig symmetrical for $70 doesn't mean that's the going or standard rate for that product.

Where I live now the housing is about 4x more expensive than where I moved from.

In Hawaii you can't get a gallon of milk for under $4.99; in my old hometown you could get one for $1.99.

$65 for 100/10 is really not that bad when you get right down to it. In fact it's pretty good in a lot of areas. The old TWC tiers for my area didn't even offer 100 down, they topped out at 50/5 for something like $110. And DESPITE the incredibly annoying monopoly that MSO's have, the reality is that the cost of bandwidth has fallen insanely in the last 1-2 decades and the downward trend is continuing.

To be honest, the legitimately annoying thing is that the lack of competition has lead most MSO's to homogenize their offerings across all their markets, when competition would lead to them individually competing in each market with any other ISP's who happened to exist there.

But even in a competitive market, certain areas are going to see better deals.
brad152
Columbus, OH
355.1 30.2
·AT&T U-Verse

brad152

said by deefop:

No, it can't.

This is one of the more annoying economic mistakes people make when talking about this.

Granted the telecom market is extremely distorted because the government has been kindly providing MSO's with monopoly protection for quite a few decades.

HOWEVER, just because someone in a city 1000 miles away from you can get gig symmetrical for $70 doesn't mean that's the going or standard rate for that product.

Where I live now the housing is about 4x more expensive than where I moved from.

In Hawaii you can't get a gallon of milk for under $4.99; in my old hometown you could get one for $1.99.

$65 for 100/10 is really not that bad when you get right down to it. In fact it's pretty good in a lot of areas. The old TWC tiers for my area didn't even offer 100 down, they topped out at 50/5 for something like $110. And DESPITE the incredibly annoying monopoly that MSO's have, the reality is that the cost of bandwidth has fallen insanely in the last 1-2 decades and the downward trend is continuing.

To be honest, the legitimately annoying thing is that the lack of competition has lead most MSO's to homogenize their offerings across all their markets, when competition would lead to them individually competing in each market with any other ISP's who happened to exist there.

But even in a competitive market, certain areas are going to see better deals.

It sure can, in my own city, in the city i work in (Chicago), in my old city (Phoenix), etc..

It can be had.. We are just not pushing these telecom companies enough to do it. We pay whatever they ask because we have a Facebook and Netflix addiction and cannot walk away long enough to force them to actually compete and upgrade. Simple as that.

Transit is so cheap, it's insane.. BUT we have to pay for these mega mergers that are somehow better for us consumers, when in the end all it does is drive our prices up as these companies get "too big to fail" just like the banks have.

And the only reason your housing market deal works, is because people are "willing" to pay those prices.

My city (Columbus, OH) used to be dirt cheap to live in, but now we have people fleeing from the "high costs" of NJ/NYC here by the droves, and now the housing prices are suddenly sky high compared to what they were before because... to them they're getting a "deal" when in reality they're overpaying for what they're getting... But to them, they know no better so they pay it.
deefop
join:2016-05-05
Boulder, CO
11.5 19.1

deefop

Value is subjective.
The fact that people are willing to pay a certain price for a certain product is precisely what determines its value. Supply and Demand, friend.

I'm glad you live in a city that has good deals on internet service, but again that is NOT the case everywhere.

To be clear, I am not saying that the current environment is ideal. I think I mentioned several times in my post that MSO's do enjoy certain monopoly protections from the state that distort the market.
Ideally such things would not exist, in any form(for any market/industry).

But since the very same people complaining about the high costs of internet access are the ones who then vote to give more control of the industry over to the very entity that distorts it in the first place... my sympathy is limited.
brad152
Columbus, OH
355.1 30.2
·AT&T U-Verse

brad152

said by deefop:

Value is subjective.
The fact that people are willing to pay a certain price for a certain product is precisely what determines its value. Supply and Demand, friend.

I'm glad you live in a city that has good deals on internet service, but again that is NOT the case everywhere.

To be clear, I am not saying that the current environment is ideal. I think I mentioned several times in my post that MSO's do enjoy certain monopoly protections from the state that distort the market.
Ideally such things would not exist, in any form(for any market/industry).

But since the very same people complaining about the high costs of internet access are the ones who then vote to give more control of the industry over to the very entity that distorts it in the first place... my sympathy is limited.

Especially for those of us in L-TWC territory.

I cannot see how this has been good for anyone. Our 300Mbps upgrades were put on hold, we lost WHDVR, 6-Tuner DVR's, my bill for the SAME services has went up $60.. with another $40-60 increase coming after my "new customer" pricing is up

I said NO on the merger altogether, and I never vote republican as they've never seem to have learned that big business is not good business for the common man and trickle down economics just DO NOT work..

And if anyone that approved this merger had ever actually lived in a Charter territory, they'd know they're garbage. Handing out SA8300, stuck at 1 upstream channel.. doing bare minimum to keep the plant going.

I would have rather a buyout by Comcast, at least they do upgrades.

These companies just getting bigger, and lobbying for no oversight/rules tells you they are shady right there.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to brad152

to brad152
I do actually have a L TW logon.

gig for 50 cannot be had here so really that part of your argument is moot.....
Eagles1221

Eagles1221 to brad152

to brad152
I'm L TWC and I went from $69 for 2 up 20 down to $64.99 for 10 up 100 down. And when my personal SB6183 fried I got a 16 channel something from Charter for free. Tell me how I'm worse off?
brad152
Columbus, OH
355.1 30.2
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

brad152

said by Eagles1221:

I'm L TWC and I went from $69 for 2 up 20 down to $64.99 for 10 up 100 down. And when my personal SB6183 fried I got a 16 channel something from Charter for free. Tell me how I'm worse off?

You were suppose to be on 100/10 for that price anyway

TWC was in the process of doing 100/200/300Mbps already. Those of us already paying for 50/5 were suppose to be moved to 300/20.. or did everyone here just "forget" that?

And had you called, you'd have been paying $45 or so. Actually my sister paid $39 for hers until a month ago.. then went to Wide Open West since 100/10 was $39 over there.

The only thing to come out of Spectrum other than "free" modem, was a $199 upgrade fee to change speed tiers. TWC would never even dream of charging such a thing.

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
·WOW Internet and..

Rambo76098 to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221
said by Eagles1221:

Because a family member in legacy TWC on 15/1 plus home phone was paying $45 on a supposedly non-promo rate. When Charter came into the picture, they jacked the bill up to almost $90/mo. Nevermind the fact they don't even deliver anywhere near the advertised speeds during waking hours and halted the crews pulling fiber ever closer to our area (for the maxx 300mbps upgrades).

I moved them to AT&T 6/1 and home phone and they are paying $45 and getting the advertised speeds. Fuck Charter's greed, I tried to negotiate with their retention people before we switched and they didn't take it seriously, so now they get no money from us.

tl;dr: you were overpaying and Charter is greedy/overpriced.
water heater anode replacement ohio turnpike ez pass verizon fios nbc sports channel abc family channel on verizon fios 2006 honda civic enter code how to bridge verizon router comcast in wilmington ma free norton antivirus from comcast xfinity epix on demand time warner att uverse voice mail broadband reports speed test turn off router firewall twc epix on demand time warner cable dns servers rheem ac fan motor time warner cable remote not working troubleshooting direct tv no signal comcastbiz net email login toilet making hissing noise century link compatible modems att uverse internet sucks best teksavvy cable modem unable to save permission changes windows 7 drain valve washing machine usps sorry we missed you what channel is axs tv on verizon fuel tv comcast channel subway whole wheat bread ingredients ups surepost lost package login to rogers modem how to replace a windowsill tracking number starting with rr