astrabal service logo
Search similar:

uniqs
sprint customer service sucks home depot dumpster bags gta san andreas patches lowes hardware lawn mowers echo pb 260l leaf blower what channel is fox soccer on comcast 775 area code time zone can you paint oil based paint over latex primer why is my gfci tripping virgin mobile mifi account kohls website not working how to replace belt on kenmore washer hughes net gen 4 speed showtime on demand fios all my smoke alarms are going off xfinity activation phone number twc bill pay number washer lid switch bypass comcast hd preferred plus xf water heater pilot won t light difference between rg6 and rg59 how many liters in a gallon of petrol how to take off the security tag on clothes verizon wireless early upgrade hot water heater drip pan samsung series 5 tv factory reset windows task scheduler 0x41301 www myusage att com abc family on verizon fios does windshield repair increase insurance finish dishwasher salt canada att uverse hd premium tier

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four

Premium Member

Another data breach - this time it's virtually everyone in Malaysia

A telco and government data hacking spree in Malaysia has compromised the personal data and medical records of 46.2 million Malaysian citizens, with crooks putting the data up for sale. Note that this is the number of compromised accounts - there are only about 31 million people living in Malaysia, so some individuals had more than one compromised account.

»theregister.co.uk/20 ··· nt_hack/

This is every bit as massive a hack as the Equifax breach.

Snowy
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Doctor Four:

This is every bit as massive a hack as the Equifax breach.

Equifax needs this type of diversion.
I'm not in the business of giving free consultations but if I were running the Equifax show I'd be dispersing huge amounts of cash from the slush fund put in place to pay for exactly this type of event.
Of course the rewards for pulling off a hack closer to home would have a premium.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Doctor Four

MVM

to Doctor Four
said by Doctor Four:

compromised the personal data and medical records of 46.2 million Malaysian citizens

said by Doctor Four:

there are only about 31 million people living in Malaysia

o_0 + Internet Facepalm... so when's the postmortem for THIS coming out? Was it an inside job? Was it rays from Mars?
Was it a healthy dose of DILLGAF + managerial (in)action / golden parachute preparation? Inquiring minds want to know
and learn from this.

Regards
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21
100.2 3.2

HarryH3 to Doctor Four

Premium Member

to Doctor Four
said by Doctor Four:

compromised the personal data and medical records of 46.2 million Malaysian citizens

Interesting way for the author to make things sound more dramatic. Only 80,000 of that 46.2 million had their medical records accessed. That's equivalent to all of the patient records for about 2 doctors in the US.

The real bummer would be the fine assessed by the gov't for not securing Personal Health Information in the US. At $50 per account hacked, that's $4,000,000. But wait, who gets fined if the data is stolen from the gov't?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Blackbird to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

... so when's the postmortem for THIS coming out? ...

Here it is, just for you. The Advance Postmortem:
1. It will be announced the hacker group was "from China". Or "Russia"...
2. It will be found that the data was not properly encrypted.
3. It will be found that the data and equipment were not effectively air-gapped.
4. Some outfit will be retained to provide "identity protection" for 1 year for some of the victims.
5. The organizations involved will notify the victims: ""Valuable data and login details were compromised by a rogue contractor using unprecedented attack venues against our industry award winning security protocols. Your privacy and security are important to us. We will take comprehensive measures to identify the causes of this intrusion and to assure it does not happen again in the future."
6. A few managers/employees will retire or resign.
7. Nothing will really change.

Edit: Added first quote sentence to 5, courtesy of norwegian and Snowy

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

StuartMW

Premium Member

Malaysia is pretty tough on crime

Capital punishment in Malaysia

so maybe...

Snowy
Premium Member
Kailua, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Snowy to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

The Advance Postmortem:

Excellent!
Just work in the word "unprecedented" & I think we are good to go.
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25
·Bright House Net..

InternetJeff to Doctor Four

to Doctor Four
This type of news is becoming boring. Seriously.

Soon everyone's information will be available to anyone else. So let's make the info worthless. You cannot open a credit account unless you physically present yourself somewhere in-person and prove who you are. No more lair-loan mortgages. No more instant-approval credit cards. All phone/internet credit card purchases require mandatory 2FA. All credit files are frozen, with realtime confirmation/authentication required to unlock.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium Member
Galt's Gulch

StuartMW

Premium Member

You mean security/privacy over convenience? That's not gonna fly.
InternetJeff
I'm your huckleberry.
join:2001-09-25
·Bright House Net..

InternetJeff

said by StuartMW:

Yeah, I get it. Consumers have been gradually acclimated to convenience over security/privacy.

I just scratch my head over this. I'm 41 and have not had a credit card since I was 29. I don't borrow money and pay with cash/debit/EFT/wire. I have no credit score, and my credit files (what little there is to them) are frozen. All my bills are electronic, but I push all payments - no one has electronic auto debit access to my accounts. And I carry these practices in my 3 businesses.

Sigh.

Snowy
Premium Member
Kailua, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Snowy

Premium Member

said by InternetJeff:

said by StuartMW:

Yeah, I get it. Consumers have been gradually acclimated to convenience over security/privacy.

Yeah, it's a lost cause.
Not.
Between exploratory discussion on the Federal level to ban charges for credit freezes & credit bureau's being swamped with credit freeze requests I'm not convinced consumers don't possess the intellect to accept change.

The major significance of consumers utilizing the credit freeze isn't as much abut the freeze itself, it's really more about consumers finally getting actively involved with ID Theft prevention/mitigation.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
·Frontier Communi..

Blackbird to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

... I'm 41 and have not had a credit card since I was 29. I don't borrow money and pay with cash/debit/EFT/wire. I have no credit score, and my credit files (what little there is to them) are frozen. All my bills are electronic, but I push all payments - no one has electronic auto debit access to my accounts. And I carry these practices in my 3 businesses. Sigh.

That alone is such a departure from our current societal "norm" that it qualifies you for being added to multiple 'watch lists'... and not just credit ones. What's so ironic is that I've lived long enough to remember the time when the exact inverse of the credit/spending behavior and patterns you've described would have qualified a person for being added to those same 'watch lists'.

While I maintain hope that Snowy 's right about it not being a lost cause, I continue seeing so many signs that most people still greatly value convenience over security in their lives to such a degree that it's difficult to believe that anything like personal credit freezes or Federal regulatory 'discussions' will become more than just temporary fixes or passing fads, lasting only until people raise howls over the resulting 'inconveniences' to their accustomed spending/credit habits. My concern is that such measures will thus end up being merely like putting a band-aid over a gangrenous wound.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium Member
Galt's Gulch

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

That alone is such a departure from our current societal "norm" that it qualifies you for being added to multiple 'watch lists'...

Or as you said years ago
said by Blackbird:

That alone should earn you a 3-letter-agency analyst of your very own...!

»Re: Wired article explains NSA decrypting plans & new facility

In regards to doing things outside societal norms I'm reminded of the Ray Bradbury short story "The Pedestrian".
quote:
Neither the police car nor its occupants can understand why Mead would be out walking for no reason and so decides to take him to the Psychiatric Center for Research on Regressive Tendencies.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th ··· #Summary

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by Blackbird:

The Advance Postmortem:

Excellent!
Just work in the word "unprecedented" & I think we are good to go.

Could we also add 1 line?

8. Valuable data and login details were compromised by a contractor who plugged in a company usb dongle on a home computer infected with malware.

Snowy
Premium Member
Kailua, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Snowy

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

8. Valuable data and login details were compromised by a contractor who plugged in a company usb dongle on a home computer infected with malware.

I'm just the night editor but industry standards require being more specific in assigning liability elsewhere while also minimizing our own liability.
"Valuable data and login details were compromised by a rogue contractor using unprecedented attack venues against our industry award winning security protocols."

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium Member
Galt's Gulch

StuartMW to Doctor Four

Premium Member

to Doctor Four
I once had a boss that claimed that the motto of an ex-employer was
quote:
We may not be able to fix the problem but we can sure fix the blame!

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow to InternetJeff

Premium Member

to InternetJeff
said by InternetJeff:

said by StuartMW:

I just scratch my head over this. I'm 41 and have not had a credit card since I was 29. I don't borrow money and pay with cash/debit/EFT/wire. I have no credit score, and my credit files (what little there is to them) are frozen. All my bills are electronic, but I push all payments - no one has electronic auto debit access to my accounts. And I carry these practices in my 3 businesses.

Sigh.

Bravo! Good for you, but I have you beat, by a few years.

I'm 64 and cut my first credit card in half, at age 18 and never looked back. Follow the exact same practices as you, personal and my business.

Have watched many friends and relatives, over the years, sink into credit card debt, that was astronomical, for the salaries they made.

Cannot, for the life of me, imagine wanting anything, so badly, that I would ever need a line of credit. If the money is not available, I wait, until it is.

Financial simplicity and freedom from debt.

No TV, no smartphone, no Wi-Fi, no credit cards. If my business wasn't online, I would cut the cord, in a flash.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by norwegian:

I'm just the night editor but industry standards require being more specific in assigning liability elsewhere while also minimizing our own liability.
"Valuable data and login details were compromised by a rogue contractor using unprecedented attack venues against our industry award winning security protocols."

LOL, that did make me laugh.
That sounds so politically correct.
Award winning security protocols too.
norwegian

norwegian to Doctor Four

Premium Member

to Doctor Four

But seriously though, there is no education on a real level for most users be it business or home.
I've been saying it for years.

Too many I talk to say they don't know anything when it comes to computers.
So if 80% don't know, 20% do and 1% are experts in the industry, it's a big gap to fill.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Doctor Four

MVM

to Doctor Four
said by Blackbird:

said by HELLFIRE:

... so when's the postmortem for THIS coming out? ...

Here it is, just for you. The Advance Postmortem:

Perfect... now get get BP Richfield to do the press conference / PR circuit stuff and we'd be set!

"Sinclair! GET DOWN HERE!!"

Regards
sprint customer service sucks home depot dumpster bags gta san andreas patches lowes hardware lawn mowers echo pb 260l leaf blower what channel is fox soccer on comcast 775 area code time zone can you paint oil based paint over latex primer why is my gfci tripping virgin mobile mifi account kohls website not working how to replace belt on kenmore washer hughes net gen 4 speed showtime on demand fios all my smoke alarms are going off xfinity activation phone number twc bill pay number washer lid switch bypass comcast hd preferred plus xf water heater pilot won t light difference between rg6 and rg59 how many liters in a gallon of petrol how to take off the security tag on clothes verizon wireless early upgrade hot water heater drip pan samsung series 5 tv factory reset windows task scheduler 0x41301 www myusage att com abc family on verizon fios does windshield repair increase insurance finish dishwasher salt canada att uverse hd premium tier