astrabal service logo
Search similar:

uniqs
do robins eat grass seed all smoke detectors beeping time warner channel lineup dallas where does vudu to go save movies pac 12 network verizon fios radio shack pro 197 how much trimec per gallon of water comcast collection department phone number best swamp cooler pads statute of limitations debt ontario dishwasher making buzzing noise ipad stuck on headphones smoke detectors replacement interval arris modem password of the day brake rotor turning cost can i port my vonage number to google voice reset cable box comcast redzone on fios channel can you tint rear window defroster que canal es nbc en comcast dishwasher drain sink overflow comcast digital adapter channel lineup 2012 honda odyssey timing belt or chain rogers yahoo ca mail is miniinthebox a legit website maax shower doors installation ubee modem not working ebay buyer protection program comcast limited basic tv liftmaster receiver logic board water heater pilot wont light at&t u verse pay bill cat safe ant traps digital converter box for time warner cable
greenhyena
join:2013-05-01
Coquitlam, BC

6 recommendations

greenhyena

Detestable ad by shaw

Click for full size
Happened just now, googled 'teksavvy' and saw this ad. Is this even legit? I mean isn't this some kind of false or misleading advertising?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

kevinds

Premium Member

That is the search engine..

You search Teksavvy, it figures out Teksavvy Internet.. Then places a Shaw advertisement at the top with your search string

Smart and despicable...

Anon14865
@bell.ca

Anon14865 to greenhyena

Anon

to greenhyena
The question is, what is written by Shaw, and what is provided by Google based on the search you did?
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to greenhyena

to greenhyena
said by greenhyena:

Happened just now, googled 'teksavvy' and saw this ad. Is this even legit? I mean isn't this some kind of false or misleading advertising?

This is "Google AdWords". You pay enough money, your ad comes up when people search for a specified phrase... »adwords.google.com/intl/ ··· ive=none

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB
24.4 0.8

1 recommendation

kevinds to Anon14865

Premium Member

to Anon14865
said by Anon14865 :

what is provided by Google

Before the hyphen
said by Anon14865 :

what is written by Shaw

After the hyphen

Working as designed..

Shaw wants people who search for Teksavvy to see their internet promos, that is what the 'ad engine' provides.
stormy13
join:2003-10-28
Pickering, ON

3 recommendations

stormy13 to greenhyena

to greenhyena
Just have one thing to say, adblocker. Get one, use one.

Bastich
Premium Member
join:2009-07-05

1 recommendation

Bastich to greenhyena

Premium Member

to greenhyena
Deplorable, yet fully sanctioned by Google. They alone benefit from the battle of keywords that ensues.

If it's any consolation, Shaw is wasting their money when people inevitably realize they're not where they intended, and bounce. So click away.

B)
thehammer86
join:2015-10-18
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
SmartRG SR505N
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE

2 edits

2 recommendations

thehammer86 to kevinds

to kevinds
Click for full size
said by kevinds:

said by Anon14865 :

what is provided by Google

Before the hyphen
said by Anon14865 :

what is written by Shaw

After the hyphen

Working as designed..

Shaw wants people who search for Teksavvy to see their internet promos, that is what the 'ad engine' provides.

Bingo! And there you have it...false advertising (or intent to mislead).

BigBlarg
join:2008-02-10
Saint-Hyacinthe, QC
·Electronic Box

1 edit

BigBlarg to kevinds

to kevinds
Are you sure about that? I tried a similar search and got a Cogeco ad. It doesn't have any weird mention of TekSavvy like what op is showing.

Edit : I'm saying that I don't think the TekSavvy mention comes from Google. It really looks like it was done that way by Shaw.
Anon
join:2016-11-25
Ottawa, ON

Anon

This is very common. Some just pay for adwords like Teksavvy so that when you search Teksavvy, you find shaw.

This type of adword purchasing happens all the time.
thehammer86
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
SmartRG SR505N
(Software) pfSense

thehammer86 to BigBlarg

to BigBlarg
said by BigBlarg:

Are you sure about that? I tried a similar search and got a Cogeco ad. It doesn't have any weird mention of TekSavvy like what op is showing.

I think it may depend on you IP and or your device. I get different ads depending on whether I'm on LTE or Teksavvy at home. Gotta love cookies.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB
24.4 0.8

kevinds to BigBlarg

Premium Member

to BigBlarg
said by BigBlarg:

Depends on your IP..

They are both the incumbent for the area...

Shaw ads showing in Cogeco territory would be a silly.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to greenhyena

Premium Member

to greenhyena
You can request for them to be taken down. I had to file 5 or 6 trademark / trade name complaints with google in the last few months and it worked, or they just got smart and don't show them to me. Although everything I read said it was the advertiser specifically choosing the text. You can not do anything about keywords but if your name is used in the ad they will take complaints.
dougp
join:2015-03-03
Canada

3 recommendations

dougp to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

said by BigBlarg:

You misunderstood what he was saying. He wasn't saying it was weird that he got a Cogeco ad. He was saying that what others said before -- about the mention of Teksavvy in the ad being due to Adwords -- isn't the case because that Cogeco ad isn't plastered with Teksavvy references.

Someone reading the Shaw ad quickly could think it's a link to Teksavvy -- and they're abusing Teksavvy's trademark -- so Google would take it down.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Ahh ok
thehammer86
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
SmartRG SR505N
(Software) pfSense

thehammer86 to dougp

to dougp
said by dougp:

said by kevinds:

said by BigBlarg:

You misunderstood what he was saying. He wasn't saying it was weird that he got a Cogeco ad. He was saying that what others said before -- about the mention of Teksavvy in the ad being due to Adwords -- isn't the case because that Cogeco ad isn't plastered with Teksavvy references.

Someone reading the Shaw ad quickly could think it's a link to Teksavvy -- and they're abusing Teksavvy's trademark -- so Google would take it down.

Can we get a comment from TSI on this one?
CanadianISP
Premium Member
join:2008-04-09
Pembroke, ON

2 recommendations

CanadianISP to greenhyena

Premium Member

to greenhyena
So keep repeating searches for Teksavvy and drive up Shaw's ad costs... But that would be wrong...as I do the same search for the tenth time }>
CanadianISP

CanadianISP

Premium Member

Actually- I just did the search, myself: I don't even get an ad at the top of the page: Teksavvy.com is first result.
Interestingly, though: On page two of the results, I get google ads for Carrytel and Vmedia
jdoe71
join:2008-02-07
L0L0L0

jdoe71 to thehammer86

to thehammer86
I'd prefer to get a comment from our gutless and useless governments at all levels as to why they allow these deceptive practices with impunity. The answer to that though is sadly too obvious.
CanadianISP
Premium Member
join:2008-04-09
Pembroke, ON

CanadianISP to greenhyena

Premium Member

to greenhyena
To be fair: How would you stop it ? Googles' ad system is entirely automated; You would basically be asking Google to keep a list of competitors for each and every business on the planet and associate those words in a 'banned' list to each and every related/competing business. Basically: As far as Google is concerned, targeting an ad for the word 'teksavvy' is no different that targeting for 'rhinoceros'.

Personally, I think it'd be a little risky of a move: If a customer is specifically searching for one ISP and a completely different one shows up in the results, it tends to leave a rather sour taste in the mouth, thus reducing the chance of conversion.
thehammer86
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
SmartRG SR505N
(Software) pfSense

1 recommendation

thehammer86

said by CanadianISP:

To be fair: How would you stop it ? Googles' ad system is entirely automated; You would basically be asking Google to keep a list of competitors for each and every business on the planet and associate those words in a 'banned' list to each and every related/competing business. Basically: As far as Google is concerned, targeting an ad for the word 'teksavvy' is no different that targeting for 'rhinoceros'.

Personally, I think it'd be a little risky of a move: If a customer is specifically searching for one ISP and a completely different one shows up in the results, it tends to leave a rather sour taste in the mouth, thus reducing the chance of conversion.

The word Teksavvy is trademarked just like Advanced Micro Devices is. Imagine Intel taking Google ad words and redirecting to their products when people search AMD?

Just because google can do something doesn't mean it's legal. I can do 200kph on the highway as long as I don't get caught.

Google has to constantly remove links to content when they get a DMCA notice. Same thing.
do robins eat grass seed all smoke detectors beeping time warner channel lineup dallas where does vudu to go save movies pac 12 network verizon fios radio shack pro 197 how much trimec per gallon of water comcast collection department phone number best swamp cooler pads statute of limitations debt ontario dishwasher making buzzing noise ipad stuck on headphones smoke detectors replacement interval arris modem password of the day brake rotor turning cost can i port my vonage number to google voice reset cable box comcast redzone on fios channel can you tint rear window defroster que canal es nbc en comcast dishwasher drain sink overflow comcast digital adapter channel lineup 2012 honda odyssey timing belt or chain rogers yahoo ca mail is miniinthebox a legit website maax shower doors installation ubee modem not working ebay buyer protection program comcast limited basic tv liftmaster receiver logic board water heater pilot wont light at&t u verse pay bill cat safe ant traps digital converter box for time warner cable