astrabal service logo
Search similar:

uniqs
kohler ohv engine reviews dell desktop factory restore iphone 4s cdma unlock to gsm how to prepare drywall for painting realistic pro 35 scanner verizon customer retention number what channel is bbc on charter cable home depot gate locks verizon wireless check imei cost of fiber optic cable installation verizon monthly data usage what channel is the cw on at&t u verse home steam turbine generator clothes washer lint trap automatic temperature control for smoker cox channel lineup tucson upholstery cleaner rental home depot brighthouse orlando speed test difference between single stage and two stage heat pump cell phone tower technician salary bathtub hair clog remover installing swann security cameras who makes cordovan tires uverse hbo go not working alliance one debt collection 2005 ford explorer transmission fluid change abc family brighthouse channel change my comcast wifi password early termination fee verizon fios home depot thermostat wire plastic tubing refrigerator water line smoke alarm double beep
johnc847
Premium Member
join:2011-12-31
Sherwood, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
ARRIS SB6190
Netgear R6250

johnc847

Premium Member

DHCP on wireless router or switch or both

My setup is below.

Arris SB8200
->
Netgear R6250 (Wireless Router)
->
Netgear ProSafe JGS524Ev2 (switch)

I logged into my switch and it showed that DHCP mode is enabled. Do I need to turn it off on the switch or the router or leave it on both?

I had a could of wired devices on the wireless router but am trying to take any load off of it I can to get the best wireless performance. So I am running cat 6a to wireless router and cat 6a to port 1 on switch and cat 6a from switch to all devices that can be wired.

Wireless devices: iPhones, iPads, my work laptop when not working in home office, kids chrome books when doing school work.

Wired devices: Denon AVR, Raspberry Pi supplying scanner feed to broadcastify, work laptop when in office, PS4, Apple TV, Roku, security cameras.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
join:2011-10-16
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

This is a network setup issue not comcast. You shouldn't have to do anything to the switch. All should be plug and play.
johnc847
Premium Member
Sherwood, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
ARRIS SB6190
Netgear R6250

johnc847

Premium Member

I'm simply asking which I should have handle DHCP. Never stated it's a Comcast issue or a network setup issue as all my stuff works like it should. Just asking so I can apply the correct way.

I'm thinking since my switch is web managed plus it has DHCP enabled by default. It works either way but I'm asking to see if it's better to have they wireless router handle DHCP and turn it off at the switch or should I turn it off at the router and leave it on at the switch. Or should I leave it on for both. From my understanding if I had bought an unmanaged switch they don't have any DHCP settings. But this one was on sale when I bought it so purchased it instead of an unmanaged.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05 to johnc847

Premium Member

to johnc847
This area is for Comcast internet issues. You should post in the network section. You don't need to do anything with the switch. Let the router do all the work.

ProSAFE Web Managed (Plus) Switches are Plug-and-Play, so they can be used without any
configuration. Just connect power, connect to your network and to your other devices, and
you’re done. You can also configure and manage additional advanced features of the switch
either by using your computer’s web browser or by installing the ProSAFE Plus Utility on your
Windows-based computer.
For easiest access, we recommend that you cable the switch to a network with a router or
DHCP server that assigns IP addresses, power on the switch, and then use a computer that
is connected to the same network as the switch (on-network). However, it is also possible to
configure the switch connected directly only to the computer that you are using to configure it,
and not connected to the network (off-network). See the following sections for details about
the different options for configuring your switch
johnc847
Premium Member
Sherwood, AR

johnc847

Premium Member

Ok thank you. Sorry for posting in the wrong section. Is there any way to move this to the network section or does an admin have to do that?
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

An admin can move it.

Anon9472a
@verizon.net

Anon9472a to johnc847

Anon

to johnc847
"I'm simply asking which I should have handle DHCP. "

There is no right or wrong way. It whichever you prefer. There are two ways to use DHCP; one to get the public IP from Comcast and one to hand out private IPs to devices on your network. The Netgear R6250 should be set to DHCP for the WAN, and in normal router mode, it's internal LAN DHCP server will be enabled. Normally, you only need one LAN DHCP server, but if you want two networks separated for security purposes, you might be able to use the switch as a second router for that network. Looking at the switch specs, it doesn't seem like it was designed to do that. So unless you have a specific need, I would suggest leaving the switch unmanaged as a exstention of the physical ports. If you want network isolation, you would probably be better using VLANs anyway.

PS. The R6250 caps around 745Mbps. Was this setup going to be for Gigabit? If so, I don't think the hardware is enough. Should be plenty for up to 300Mbps though.

»smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· &start=2
johnc847
Premium Member
Sherwood, AR

johnc847

Premium Member

Thank you for this. It will be for gig but haven't upgraded wireless router yet. I can get 940 down wired but max wireless is around 400. So looking into which routers will give me fastest wireless and will upgrade that.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
89.9 11.2

bdnhsv

I'd suggest leaving the DHCP function on your router and disabling it on your switch. You seem to have a pretty even number of wired/wireless devices so you could make an case for either one, but having it on the router might result in a little less traffic to the switch.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to johnc847

MVM

to johnc847
said by johnc847:

I logged into my switch and it showed that DHCP mode is enabled. Do I need to turn it off on the switch or the router or leave it on both?

2nd bdnhsv , from a K.I.S.S. perspective, keep it on the router or the switch BUT NOT both.

Regards

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to johnc847

MVM

to johnc847
Is the switch a DHCP server (supplies address to other devices) or DHCP
client (gets it address from the router)? In general you want the router
to be the only DHCP server. If the switch is a DHCP client you may want
to either assign it a static IP address or give it a reserved IP address in the router.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
57.7 64.6
·Verizon FiOS
·Charter
Linksys WRT1200AC
Edimax BR-6208AC
Obihai OBi200

Packeteers to johnc847

Premium Member

to johnc847
whatever the isp's dhcp assigns a public ip - should be the only device to manage your local dns, so in your case the router off the modem.

i have a modem(ont) wifi-router, two wireless bridges, two passive switches on my home lan, the wifi-router manages my 3 dns server entries.
tullnd
join:2015-11-20

tullnd to johnc847

to johnc847
said by johnc847:

Thank you for this. It will be for gig but haven't upgraded wireless router yet. I can get 940 down wired but max wireless is around 400. So looking into which routers will give me fastest wireless and will upgrade that.

This isn't relevant to your original question, but wanted to comment on this.

You 940Mb down you're getting is probably single user NAT. Meaning, one computer can hit that 940Mb. Where that router will fall on it's face is if you have 5 devices, all trying to simultaneously max out the bandwidth, it won't give each of them about 175Mb or so, it'll probably collectively hit around 500-600Mb, due to the processor having a harder time. The more NAT translation it has to simultaneously perform, the slower overall the router will get.

That said, if you aren't constantly maxing out the connection across that many devices, I'm not sure you'll notice the "loss" of bandwidth all that often really. It's not really a "weak" router, you'd just need to buy something beefier to sustain that max speed across multiple devices.

Also, if you can sustain 400Mb wireless across devices, that's pretty darn fast. While there are routers out there that advertise faster, it's mostly marketing speak. The few situations it applies to is going to require specific hardware. As in the chipset used in the router must match the chipset type used in your client device(i.e. Broadcom chipset in router would require a similar generation Broadcom chipset in the client) to get those higher rated speeds. The odds of all your wireless devices having the matching chipset, much less likely also supporting the multiple antenna setups required, is slim to none.

In other words...I wouldn't upgrade that router unless you experience issues with multiple devices not being able to achieve the collective total bandwidth. Honestly, I'd just live with it for another year or so and replace the router then, when even budget mid-range routers will be more than powerful enough to handle it at modest prices.
tullnd

tullnd to johnc847

to johnc847
Also, a 30 second search on the internet yields this:
»documentation.netgear.co ··· nual.pdf

DHCP Mode for Netgear Prosafe equipment is referring to configuring the switch to RECEIVE a DHCP address from your DHCP server. It's not a DHCP server itself(that's a separate option on some devices, not sure if your switch supports it...probably so, but will be called DHCP server).

So do not disable DHCP Mode unless you want to statically assign an IP for that switch. For my home network, I would. For yours, I don't see why it'd be necessary. Unless you start configuring advanced options in that switch at a later date, I'd just leave it alone.
kohler ohv engine reviews dell desktop factory restore iphone 4s cdma unlock to gsm how to prepare drywall for painting realistic pro 35 scanner verizon customer retention number what channel is bbc on charter cable home depot gate locks verizon wireless check imei cost of fiber optic cable installation verizon monthly data usage what channel is the cw on at&t u verse home steam turbine generator clothes washer lint trap automatic temperature control for smoker cox channel lineup tucson upholstery cleaner rental home depot brighthouse orlando speed test difference between single stage and two stage heat pump cell phone tower technician salary bathtub hair clog remover installing swann security cameras who makes cordovan tires uverse hbo go not working alliance one debt collection 2005 ford explorer transmission fluid change abc family brighthouse channel change my comcast wifi password early termination fee verizon fios home depot thermostat wire plastic tubing refrigerator water line smoke alarm double beep