astrabal service logo
Search similar:

uniqs
view:
normal
how to put a lien on car title uverse big ten network verizon fios sunday ticket how to change wifi password for time warner smoke alarm beeps three times then stops home depot window sill replacement antifreeze windshield washer fluid hankook optimo 4s all weather tires fios fox soccer plus how to use start over on time warner cable do gas water heaters have anode rods cfl rr email settings speed test dsl broadband ipv6 local loopback address saddle valve open position shockwave flash crash chrome whats better ported or sealed subwoofer box how good is dish network high speed internet how much to rent a carpet shampooer maui jim parts replacement smoke detector hard wired beeping how to wire a ballast hughesnet satellite internet reviews boiler pressure relief valve dripping water heater anode replacement interval head gasket stop leak sprinkler water pressure regulator test internet speed brighthouse hankook optimo 4s mileage rating cost to repair exhaust manifold what channel is amc on verizon mixing windshield washer fluid with antifreeze
big_e
join:2011-03-05

big_e

[Signals] "Looks like your wiring needs attention. We can help!"

I received an email from Comcast with the following text.

"We’ve detected a loose or damaged cable in your home. If
it isn’t fixed, you could experience service issues in the
future. This may also impact the service quality of others in
your neighborhood. We would like to locate and fix the
issue to make sure you don’t experience any
problems in the future.
Give us a call today to schedule your complimentary service visit."

Do any of the techs here know what exactly triggers this email to be sent? The modem logs haven't shown an kind of disconnect or T3 timeout since late September. Nobody left any kind of door tag, and if they climbed the pole in my back yard to disconnect the drop to confirm the ingress was coming from my house, the modem would have reset.

The upstream power level is 34-36 dBmV same as it has always been, on the bottom of the acceptable range. The run the modem is old RG-59 coax with two barrel connectors replacing points where there used to be splitters as I am an internet only subscriber. Should I expect that this wiring is going to be condemned and replaced possibly costing me some $$$, or do they typically fix this by adding some kind of attenuator?

If something was really messing up the system badly, would I already be disconnected?

Here are the signal stats.

-------
Channel ID 9 10 11 12
Frequency 513000000 Hz 519000000 Hz 525000000 Hz 531000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level
0 dBmV 0 dBmV 0 dBmV 0 dBmV
Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 2 1 3
Frequency 19400000 Hz 25800000 Hz 14600000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 3125 3125 3125
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec 5.120 Msym/sec 2.560 Msym/sec
Power Level 35 dBmV 36 dBmV 34 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [2] QPSK
[1] 16QAM
[3] 64QAM
[2] QPSK
[1] 16QAM
[3] 64QAM
[2] QPSK
[1] 16QAM
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success Success Success
Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 9 10 11 12
Total Unerrored Codewords 159678590035 159677452215 159677450180 159677396983
Total Correctable Codewords 11686 3591 5926 58036
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 10336 5686 5545 6765

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Re: [Signals] "Looks like your wiring needs attention. We can help!"

said by big_e:

I received an email from Comcast with the following text.

"We'€™ve detected a loose or damaged cable in your home. If
it isn’t fixed, you could experience service issues in the
future. This may also impact the service quality of others in
your neighborhood. We would like to locate and fix the
issue to make sure you don'€™t experience any
problems in the future.
Give us a call today to schedule your complimentary service visit."

Do any of the techs here know what exactly triggers this email to be sent? The modem logs haven't shown an kind of disconnect or T3 timeout since late September. Nobody left any kind of door tag, and if they climbed the pole in my back yard to disconnect the drop to confirm the ingress was coming from my house, the modem would have reset. ...

While all the signal levels and SNRs that your modem displays look OK, there are other signal/line quality items that can only be measured at the CMTS end.

Comcast also has this proactive monitoring and maintenance program that they started about 2 years ago:

Comcast Tests Program That Proactively Calls Customers To Fix Problems
By Ashlee Kieler, Consumerist - October 13, 2015
»consumerist.com/2015/10/ ··· roblems/

And: »Comcast Trials System That Will Call You Before Things Go Wrong [35] comments

Many of the latest modem chipsets have various remote monitoring/analysis tools built into them now that allow Comcast to check how things are at the subscriber's end.

This has also been reported by other posters before: »[Equip] Would xfinity know if I have a loose or damaged cable in my home

Also see this previous thread: »[CustSvc] Proactive Visits?

Anonf50d7
@verizon.net

Anonf50d7 to big_e

Anon

to big_e
"Give us a call today to schedule your complimentary service visit.""

The note tells you what to do. You have ingress on your line and they are asking to fix it before they disconnect you. If you want to fix it yourself, it would help to know how the coaxial is wired through the house to the modem.My guess is you don't have your drop grounded. Do you have OTA connected?
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21
100.2 3.2

HarryH3 to big_e

Premium Member

to big_e
Back in the spring, a Comcast guy stopped by to get access to the distribution box in my backyard. As part of their preparation for moving to DOCSIS 3.1, they were checking for noise on the lines and had traced a problem to my neighbors house. No one was home, so he hooked up a meter at the distribution panel, confirmed the noise was coming from their house and disconnected them. He left a note on their front door about how to contact them to get the problem resolved. So yeah, you might want to invite them to drop by for that free visit before they take further action.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
join:2011-10-16
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05 to big_e

Premium Member

to big_e
Signal doesn't look that bad. With the weather changing you might find that you have a issue outside with a connector or cable. Check all the connections just to make sure. It could be that the modem is causing it or a bad power strip the modem is plugged into.

Anonf50d7
@verizon.net

Anonf50d7

Anon

IMO a bad modem or power strip wouldn't cause active ingress on the line. I think the OP even mentioned in a previous post that when they moved in, the technician didn't even take off the trap at the pole, so I think the ingress has been there the whole time, but now that they are removing traps after the encryption transition, they need to fix the problem the trap was filtering.
big_e

big_e to Anonf50d7

to Anonf50d7
The grounding looks more ornamental than functional. Clamping to a painted electrical conduit probably doesn't work. The old coax is probably EOL, the F connectors and the barrels are all cable company installed.

Only in the past month did DOCSIS 3.0 actually go entirely live here because of the failed merger with charter. If this automated trouble reporting is based upon modem stats one of the new features of the upgraded system, then the techs are going to be very busy around here.... Radio shack sold a heck of a lot of RG-59 cable, crimp on F connectors, and splitters over the years

Anonf50d7
@verizon.net

Anonf50d7

Anon

"The grounding looks more ornamental than functional. Clamping to a painted electrical conduit probably doesn't work"

Do you have a electrical ground somewhere near by like a iron spike in the dirt? If not, that is what is going to cost you money but Comcast won't be able to do it for you. If your house is missing it's ground entirly, then I would suggest hiring a electrician to fix that first. After you have something to ground to, then have Comcast come out to attach the ground block. If this doesn't fix the problem, then they can tell you what the problem IS when they come out.

"Radio shack sold a heck of a lot of RG-59 cable, crimp on F connectors, and splitters over the years"

If so, that would be customer wiring and the customer would be responsible for buying new/better wiring just like that had to buy the original RG-59. Ingress is a issue everywhere and it sounds like the technicians in your area are trying to clean the outside wiring up. Now the users just need to clean their side up or be disconnected from the network.
outatyme
join:2006-10-05
Tallahassee, FL

1 edit

outatyme to big_e

to big_e
When i got an email like this it wasn't long and a plant maintenance tech was out to check the hardline and tap and verify that there were issues and then an installer came several days later to replace my drop for gratis! - they did this to several homes in the neighborhood. Maintenance guy also gave a tidbit of wisdom - if your F connectors are not of the compression variety on your drop line then that tells you that roughly your drop wire is 10+ years old as he said our local system switched to compression connectors around 2000-2003.

I should add:
I was also told that drop lines normally have a service life of about 10 years.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to big_e

MVM

to big_e
said by big_e:

The grounding looks more ornamental than functional. Clamping to a painted electrical conduit probably doesn't work. ...

If the clamp has a screw or something else that bites through the paint on the conduit then that should be OK.

The current code/requirement is to "bond" the cable ground to the home's electrical ground, in order to prevent any significant voltage differential from developing between them.

See this previous thread: »[Install] curious about grounding
telcodad

telcodad to outatyme

MVM

to outatyme
said by outatyme:

When i got an email like this it wasn't long and a plant maintenance tech was out to verify that there were issues and then an installer came several days later to replace my drop for gratis! - they did this to several homes in the neighborhood. ...

Yes, the drop line to your ground block is Comcast's responsibility to maintain. From there into your home is your responsibility.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05 to big_e

Premium Member

to big_e
If you have a groundwire outside you can use one of these.
big_e

big_e to Anonf50d7

to Anonf50d7
said by Anonf50d7 :

Do you have a electrical ground somewhere near by like a iron spike in the dirt? If not, that is what is going to cost you money but Comcast won't be able to do it for you.

The CATV drop is the same location as the electrical service drop. It's clamped onto the top of the conduit going from the aerial drop to the meter. No evidence they took a wire wheel to the conduit before attaching the clamp.

If Comcast is going to insist the electrical service entrance grounding be upgraded to meet current code to continue service, then there is going to be a problem. Most of the homes in the neighborhood are old construction with the service entrace ground being via the city water pipe.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

1 edit

srtdodge05

Premium Member

When you tighten the screw on the ground clamp it'll remove the paint and make contact. Comcast can put a ground rod in and ground the coax to that if needed.

Anonf50d7
@verizon.net

Anonf50d7

Anon

YMMV when it comes to Comcast installing a ground spike. When I asked one in MA, they told me to contact a electrician. I think it's their responsibility to attach to the ground, but not install one.

Either way, you still don't know why/what/where the ingress is from. No point speculating about people around you before that. Have the technician come out and ask them.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
126.5 11.6

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Anonf50d7 :

I think it's their responsibility to attach to the ground, but not install one.

correct, they aren't going to take over your responsibility to properly ground your home and are reluctant to begin pounding anything in close to the foundation which could puncture gas water or waste pipes.
even where they do it like the phone company they use a 3 foot rod (not enough for a house ground but enough for the service drop itself while the plant itself is bonded to the pole grounding system. while still code for old homes water pipeing is really not an acceptable earth ground, too many plastic supply lines and bond breaking anti corrosion (water heaters and appliances) plastic parts.

radiocolin
join:2013-01-29
3701.5 7481.0

radiocolin to big_e

to big_e
It likely means noise was detected on the line as seen in the various spectrum tools we use from the CMTS end.

These are generally legitimate triggers, and it's better to schedule the appointment rather than assume you're seeing everything from the modem end. Things can be fine now but left untreated they can get worse, and then you'll find yourself getting trapped out until the visit happens.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to srtdodge05

to srtdodge05
Link to this? Thats a hell of alot better/cleaner then the U bolts
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

said by OSUGoose:

Link to this? Thats a hell of alot better/cleaner then the U bolts

»amazon.com/GBIBZ-126 ··· g+bridge

»amazon.com/Arlington ··· Src=srch

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Thank You!
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

Welcome

Anondf253
@wavecable.com

Anondf253 to big_e

Anon

to big_e
Just because your modem looks good does not mean your not flagged. They now do tdr [time domain reflectometry, say that 3 times real fast] math on modem return spectrum to find some problems. You can see some info here »scte.org/TechnicalCo ··· ions.pdf

They also have a spectrum scan from the modems in some cases that may find noise in used and unused spectrum planned for updates. If you have X1 boxes, or separate emta for phone, they also report signals like shown to the system so it may be that equiptment as well. Sometimes it is generated by maint team as well if they track noise to your drop or their leakage detectors find something near your house. Other times the system detects problems during system issues before they have been flagged as events and it is not you. Tech should check your setup when you call to double check though.

Almighty1
Premium Member
join:2003-05-14
San Francisco, CA

Almighty1 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Just curious but what if the conduit is rusted?
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

Little surface wont hurt

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Almighty1

MVM

to Almighty1
said by srtdodge05:

said by Almighty1:

Just curious but what if the conduit is rusted?

Little surface wont hurt

Yeah, again, as long as clamp's screw bites through it to the metal underneath, it should be OK.

Almighty1
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

Almighty1

Premium Member

What I meant is what if that metal has lots of corrosion that all you can see if the rust and not the actual metal as in my case where the clamp was probably attached when the metal was seen. I guess one way to test this is to use a multimeter with one probe on the ground wire and another on the other side.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

I've been a lot of conduit with rust and corrosion its normal. Inside of the conduit usually pretty clean.

Almighty1
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

Almighty1

Premium Member

I just had to ask since basically in my case, the only area where you can see the actual surface of the conduit is where the ground clamp and screw is. All the other areas of the outside surface of the conduit was painted with new paint by the painters so I guess a major scrubbing with rubbing alcohol after some WD40 might help in my case.
srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

Looks good. Long as the clamp and screw is tight you should be fine. What does that conduit connect too?

Anonf50d7
@verizon.net

Anonf50d7 to Almighty1

Anon

to Almighty1
That looks like conduit for an electric outlet that used to be there. How do you know it's grounded?
how to put a lien on car title uverse big ten network verizon fios sunday ticket how to change wifi password for time warner smoke alarm beeps three times then stops home depot window sill replacement antifreeze windshield washer fluid hankook optimo 4s all weather tires fios fox soccer plus how to use start over on time warner cable do gas water heaters have anode rods cfl rr email settings speed test dsl broadband ipv6 local loopback address saddle valve open position shockwave flash crash chrome whats better ported or sealed subwoofer box how good is dish network high speed internet how much to rent a carpet shampooer maui jim parts replacement smoke detector hard wired beeping how to wire a ballast hughesnet satellite internet reviews boiler pressure relief valve dripping water heater anode replacement interval head gasket stop leak sprinkler water pressure regulator test internet speed brighthouse hankook optimo 4s mileage rating cost to repair exhaust manifold what channel is amc on verizon mixing windshield washer fluid with antifreeze