astrabal service logo
Search similar:

uniqs
view:
normal
bathroom tub drain clogged rent a bobcat cost sbcglobal net login mail shawmail cg shawcable net tooth infection swollen cheek time warner rio grande valley how to get rid of yellow jacket nest fiber broadband speed test time warner cable employee benefits time warner cable socal channel lineup what color is transmission fluid supposed to be cub cadet walk behind mower reviews 13 seer heat pump fluorescent light t12 vs t8 walmart straight talk sim difference between 780p and 1080p at&t yahoo email login broadband installer charter salary reviews on att uverse 2002 honda civic timing belt replacement schedule what is the latest usps delivers packages how many yards of topsoil in a dump truck bosch 500 nexxt series dryer charter remote setup button how much does asphalt paving cost per sq ft comcast arris modem ip address who sings fish heads how to enable upnp on at&t router directv mlb extra innings price comcast xfinity closed caption cox email imap settings

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
·Comcast XFINITY

camper

Premium Member

[Price] Found an old Comcast cable TV price list

From back in the days when "Triple Play" meant you subscribed to three premium channels...

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Yeah, no Voice or Internet services yet, back then.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

jbob to camper

Premium Member

to camper
Also notice many of those price changes are price drops!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

So, BTW, when did Comcast first offer those other services?

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT
·Comcast XFINITY

camper to jbob

Premium Member

to jbob
said by jbob:

Also notice many of those price changes are price drops!

Yeah, that was a surprise to me as well.

Plus, you could subscribe to some channels, e.g., TBS, individually.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

OK, From Wikipedia (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast ):
quote:
Comcast offered internet connection for the first time in 1996, with its part in the launch of the @Home Network. By December 31, 1997, it was available in the Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore, Orange County, CA, Sarasota and Union, NJ areas (Comcast no longer serves Orange County, CA). It was soon rolled out to all Comcast serviceable areas. After [email protected] went bankrupt in October 2001, Comcast took over providing internet directly to consumers in January 2002.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT
·Comcast XFINITY

camper to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

According to the price lists and bills I have, sometime between July 1996 and January 2005.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

OK, From Wikipedia (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast ):
quote:
Comcast offered internet connection for the first time in 1996, with its part in the launch of the @Home Network. By December 31, 1997, it was available in the Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore, Orange County, CA, Sarasota and Union, NJ areas (Comcast no longer serves Orange County, CA). It was soon rolled out to all Comcast serviceable areas. After [email protected] went bankrupt in October 2001, Comcast took over providing internet directly to consumers in January 2002.

And from »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xf ··· elephone
quote:
Xfinity Voice (formerly Comcast Digital Voice) is a landline telephone service that was launched in 2005 in select markets, and to all of Comcast's markets in 2006. Comcast's older service, Comcast Digital Phone, continued to offer service for a brief period, until Comcast shut it down around late 2007. In 2009, after completing transition from their old service, Comcast had 7.6 million voice customers. As of the end of 2013, Comcast Digital Voice had reached 10.7 million subscribers.

At the start of 2012, Comcast stood as the United States' third-largest residential telephone provider. At that time the company supplied 9.34 million residential telephone lines. ...

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

I've got a 2005 price list, and I don't see any mention of a phone service.

Give me a few minutes to scan and post it...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

"Comcast's older service, Comcast Digital Phone, continued to offer service for a brief period, until Comcast shut it down around late 2007."

Actually Comcast's first "Digital Phone" service was offered when they acquired cable systems from AT&T Broadband in 2001:

quote:
2001 Comcast completes the acquisition of select AT&T Broadband cable systems in six states adding 595,000 customers

2002 Comcast launches high-definition television (HDTV) service and Comcast High-Speed Internet

Comcast serves over 21 million video customers in 38 states and District of Columbia, with 6.3 million digital video customers, 3.3 million high-speed data customers and 1.3 million cable phone subscribers

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT
·Comcast XFINITY

camper

Premium Member

January 2005 price list...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by camper:

Wow, "blazing" 4/0.384 high speed internet!

(But then DSL was probably less than1 Mbps - I had 512kbps down, and 128 Kbps up back then.)

Modem rental was only $3/month though!
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
·Comcast XFINITY
·T-Mobile
Netgear C7100V

jm101

said by telcodad:

said by camper:

I believe we were getting around 12 Mbps down the first time we had HSI from Comcast in 2009. When we went back in 2010, around 28 Mbps down. Now it's around 120/6.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by jm101:

said by telcodad:

said by camper:

I believe we were getting around 12 Mbps down the first time we had HSI from Comcast in 2009. When we went back in 2010, around 28 Mbps down. Now it's around 120/6.

When I moved from my .512/.128 Covad DSL service to Comcast HSI back in 2011, the Performance tier that I had signed up for was 16/2 (with "PowerBoost.)"
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to camper

to camper
back when Disney was a pay channel. it needs to go back to that.
Joe12345678

Joe12345678 to camper

to camper
HBO $18.95 NO WAY!!!
jm101
Oakland, CA
·Comcast XFINITY
·T-Mobile
Netgear C7100V

jm101 to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

When I moved from my .512/.128 Covad DSL service to Comcast HSI back in 2011, the Performance tier that I had signed up for was 16/2 (with "PowerBoost.)"

I remember "PowerBoost." I also remember the modem rental fee actually being reasonable.

DOCSIS 3 and constant speed increases have kept us with Comcast all these years.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
942.4 591.0

maartena to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

Probably around 1997.... I had cable internet in December 1996, but I was in the Netherlands at that time, and was one of the first 1,000 Dutchmen connected to the internet via a cable modem. By 1999 both DSL and Cable internet were common place. I think the US development of cable modems was about the same.... first trial rollouts in 1996 or so, full scale commercial rollouts in 1997 and beyond.

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover to camper

to camper
$50 in 1994 is roughly $83 in today's money just to add to this.
gtb
join:2016-05-16
Sunnyvale, CA

gtb to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

... the launch of the @Home Network...

Ah, @Home. The dot.bust put the final nail in that coffin. I used to drive by their offices (now part of Stanford Medical Center).
jm101
Oakland, CA

jm101 to maartena

to maartena
Makes sense because DOCSIS 1.0 was released in 1997. I don't remember that because I was very young.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
182.2 23.7

jbob to gtb

Premium Member

to gtb
said by gtb:

said by telcodad:

... the launch of the @Home Network...

Ah, @Home. The dot.bust put the final nail in that coffin. I used to drive by their offices (now part of Stanford Medical Center).

I had @Home at one time but don't think it was part of Comcast at the time. It was my first cable internet service after moving from dialup. 1999/2000 time frame. Where I was was being served by two providers Watson Cable and Cox. I know I ended up with Cox but can't remember exactly what it was @Home.
Marcus Carr
join:2009-04-08
Baltimore, MD

Marcus Carr to camper

to camper
You could even have an outlet on your spaceship.

Anon2c6c1
@2603:3003.x

Anon2c6c1 to telcodad

Anon

to telcodad
In 2000 I had 7.1/1.5 mb/s DSL. In 2002 I switched to Comcast when cable systems became two way (until 2002 the cable internet in my building had high speed downstream but dial-up upstream) and had Comcast Pro until Verizon FIOS in 2007 which I currently have.
Anon2c6c1

Anon2c6c1 to jbob

Anon

to jbob
@home was like AOL without the walled garden. It was a label used by cable operators for high speed internet,email, newsgroups, etc., and used as its internet backbone lines provided by the cable operator.

Zenit
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
7.2 0.7
·Verizon DSL
·Comcast XFINITY
·T-Mobile

Zenit to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
I was at 3Mbps with VZ DSL in 2005. I started at 768kbps in 2003. Adelphia PowerLink was awful here and basically unusable depending on the time of day. Frequent outages were the norm and it only got worse as Adelphia's financial condition deteriorated.

The county probably regretted approving the sale of the Loudoun Cablevision system to Adelphia, but that is a story for another thread. Adelphia had inherited a good plant with that purchase but the Adelphia backend systems were awful.

Once Comcast took over in 2006 drastic improvements started to happen after a brief rough transition period. Once D3.0 launched the edge VZ DSL had evaporated.

I miss Comcast's pricing circa 2011. I had a great bundle and the rental fees were acceptable.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to jm101

to jm101
I remember 786K dsl (no more need to tie up the phone line)
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
9.5 5.5
·Verizon FiOS

dplantz to camper

to camper
Wow things have changed in both pricing and services. We first got Comcast internet in 2002. My parents are on the Groton CT system. I remember my father grumbling when the cable boxes were required, but he adapted fine. 2006 we switched to Comcast Digital voice from AT&T. Gone was 25-50 in long distance charges and line noise on the phones plus overpaying for the FCC line charge. 2011 we got the first HD boxes when my parents got their first HD TV. December of 2015 I setup the X1 DVR for my Mom. Now I am about to get rid off the old analog tvs in the house. Interesting that the internet speed was 3 meg down in 2002 and now 100/6. I remember the days of getting the NY channels and when Disney was a pay channel. I just wish long term customers got better pricing options. My Mom has subscribed to cable tv since 1982.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to camper

to camper
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the "good old days" LOLOLOL
TheMasterFab
join:2016-02-17

TheMasterFab to telcodad

to telcodad
We had 3/.768 DSL from Verizon in 2005, and I think we paid $29.99 a month for it. Then again, landline phone was another $29.99, plus taxes and fees. For the time, it was pretty good.
bathroom tub drain clogged rent a bobcat cost sbcglobal net login mail shawmail cg shawcable net tooth infection swollen cheek time warner rio grande valley how to get rid of yellow jacket nest fiber broadband speed test time warner cable employee benefits time warner cable socal channel lineup what color is transmission fluid supposed to be cub cadet walk behind mower reviews 13 seer heat pump fluorescent light t12 vs t8 walmart straight talk sim difference between 780p and 1080p at&t yahoo email login broadband installer charter salary reviews on att uverse 2002 honda civic timing belt replacement schedule what is the latest usps delivers packages how many yards of topsoil in a dump truck bosch 500 nexxt series dryer charter remote setup button how much does asphalt paving cost per sq ft comcast arris modem ip address who sings fish heads how to enable upnp on at&t router directv mlb extra innings price comcast xfinity closed caption cox email imap settings